Has anyone remained friends with an ex? And if so for what reason?

I understand that there are certain reasons like a child to keep a friendship between eachother but for what other reason would there be unless there are still lingering feelings

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm friends with 4 of my ex's. Two of them we agreed we were better friends then lovers. So we are friends and lovers no more. One of them she and I still have feelings for each other but were friends to keep touch. Her life isn't in a good place for a relationship which is fine she needs her time to work on her life. I honestly admire she did that and knew enough. The other were still friends she has major regrets but we get along so we still chat and stuff from time to time... even though she sometimes over shares things like her sex life.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am still friends with one ex. I dated her for 3 years over 15 years ago. For whatever reason, the dynamics of our friendship have worked out but it's not like we hang out all the time or anything like that. She even has had a boyfriend for the last 15 years who she met a year or so after she and I split up, and he's friendly and doesn't mind that she and I are friends. Normally I wouldn't be friends with an ex but for whatever reason this one works out.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Unless you were with each other STRICTLY for sex and sex now being off the table - you'll LIKELY still have feelings for each other. There was an emotional element to the relationship, too, after all. So there is a basis of a friendship beneath the surface. That being said, it does depend on how and why you broke up. If you just didn't have compatible work/life schedules; then maybe you could be friends. But a major reason people break up is lack of trust - and frankly, no one wants a FRIEND in their life who they felt they couldn't trust.

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm still best friends with one of my exes, because we were best friends before we ever became an item. Met him when I was 15, dated on and off til around 18. I wouldn't say there are no romantic feelings there, but we just genuinely work really well as friends. We've always had that connection. Neither of us want a serious relationship for a long while now, since we both JUST got out of long, serious relationships that had really bitter endings. I can still talk to him about anything and I know that he always has the best advice, even if it's advice for a relationship I'm in. And vice versa. We were each other's first real girlfriend/boyfriend, so it's an interesting dynamic for sure lol. We'll always love each other, but we never let anything come between our friendship, even each other.

I'm friends with a few of my exes otherwise, and there haven't been any issues. We can still talk openly, we were friends longer than we were romantic. I think it depends on how it ended.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 56

• The only time I've remained friends with an ex is if we were friends beforehand and it's strictly platonic, after a lot of time once the wound of heartbreak is truly healed then I believe it's possible for the friendship to remain, otherwise I believes ex's are called ex's for a reason, they are an ex chapter in the great big book of your life and once that chapter is over there's no need to return to it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm friendly with most of my exes. Sometimes things ended mutually, sometimes the romantic part just died and we remained friends. Other times there have been the period of heartbreak and hurt feelings, but after we got over that we realized that we still enjoyed each other's company as friends. It is all about how the both of you process the feelings.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like to be friends. Because it is better to have friends than enemies. Seriously. Just because you didn't work out as a couple, doesn't mean you instantly know nothin about that person. Might as well be a friend and keep in touch once in awhile. The more friends the merrier!

1|0
    0|0
  • I did so for a short period of time for the sake of mutual friends. But then I eventually found out that said mutual friends have grown to dislike her, which is funny considering they were friends with her before they became friends with me. I'd like to think that says a lot about her, and so that was my cue to stop.

0|0
    0|0
  • They're ex for a reason, but there are a lot of reasons to remain with them, I mean losing relationship of love doesn't mean losing friendly relationship, and being a friend with someone who knows you a lot is much better than being a friend with someone who wants to know you.

2|0
    0|0
  • My last relationship was with a woman who has 4 kids from 3 different guys and I raised her kids like my own for 16 before we split. Long story short she started using drugs and screwed every one in town so I showed her the door. But I try to be civil when we see each other. It was the kids that told me about it. I do it for the kids.

2|0
    0|0
  • I am friends with most of my exes. Some more than others obviously. I could see lingering feelings being involved for sure, but also they're people I've known very well and with shared interests. As long as jealousy isn't involved from new relationships there's no reason not to stay friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.. we still are the best friends after the break up.. it all started after a long friendship.. but got to know can't be best couple. we didn't think of it when we started dating.. after that things got changed and we thought of breaking up and decided to be as before... I would say we are not that close now.. but still she is my bestie... sometimes everything will not have reason. we have to fallow a flow..😃

1|0
    0|0
  • I hate to admit it, but I'm still in love with her, and keep hoping I'll win her back someday, somehow.

She's made it clear to me that I'm not who she wants for the ling term, but for some reason I don't believe her.

We are still eslch other's best friends and talk several times a week.

If it weren't so pathetic, my still carrying a torch for her would be downright romantic.

0|0
    0|0
    • I think you should move on from that. Your to old to be waiting for a relationship.

• Show All
    • Honestly I think you can. That's what all us kids are doing? We've realized at this point something pointless is just that. If the she doesn't want you in a relationship then she's not worth your time. I know you guys are friends, but keeping that relationship just reminds you that you do like her, and you can't move on. Personally I don't believe in platonic relationships with women. Acquaintances are fine, but I don't want to be their friend. Not to mention when I do have a wife it's not fair to her that I would have female friends.

• @Mrbrainsyck Everything you say makes sense, but the connection I have with this person is unlike anything else I have ever had with another human being in my whole lifetime, and I'm actually in therapy because I can't seem to let go.

I guess you had to be there to understand.

• Tried that with my last ex and ended up in bed with her again. She wanted to get back together after and it was like breaking up all over again. So I've tried but wouldn't do it again. Nothing good comes out of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have an ex that I used to date off and on for about 1 month at a time for 5 months. We'd date for a month, breakup and then a month and a half later date again and we did this 5 times. Eventually I got tired of it so I cut ties with her. But over time, wounds heal and I moved on and I have a new girlfriend and me and my ex both have no feelings for each other, other than plutonic

0|0
    0|0
  • No, because psychology says if you break up with someone and remain friends, your feelings will never go away. If they do, you weren't actually in love. I still have a crush on my ex's after they broke my heart. I don't like it but that's not how we work

0|0
    0|0
  • I am still a friend with my first girl and I am really in love and happy with my current one. The reason we are still friends is that we respect each other and we were kinda kids back then 16years old. We go out like once a month just to talk about how is life going. I dont think she has romantic feelings for me too.

0|0
    0|0
  • My ex and I have just always been really good friends even before starting a relationship, and after it ended we just still really connected. If you enjoy someone as a whole I just don't think that stops.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm still remained friends with my exes... unless with the exes that ended up badly.., in my beliefs it is a sin to cut good friendship... so i still friends with my ex, even i still hang out with her and her new boyfriends

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean a long as you are both done with a romantic relationship and okay with being friends then it doesn't seem like a big deal to stay friends. Often people don't split amicably though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I tried and it was the worst experience i ever had in dating. My heart was getting broken again and again and she wasn’t caring one bit. So one day i stopped torturing myself and move on.

I don’t recommend to be a friend with your ex.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm friends with two of my exes. We simply accepted what happened between us and kept it professional.

We stayed friends because we still cared about one another even if the romance was gone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope never. I never dated within my circle of friends so once the relationship ended there was no purpose in keeping them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have... and we actually became closest friends. It was all because we were mature enough to put what happened behind us and let nothing harm our friendship

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 33

• I keep friends as ex's. We all have history with other people. As an adult you learn to be okay with knowing you weren't the first person your partner was with. I believe good people should be held onto regardless of whether there is a romantic connection or not. Genuine people hold a lot of value in a world where so many are selfish and shit.

2|0
    0|0
    • People who say their partner cannot be friends with an ex have trust issues. It's not the ex's problem. It's a problem with the person that tries to isolate their partner. Cutting off past ties doenst build trust it simply puts a temporary barrier in front of the issue which is there the girlfriend or boyfriend doesn't trust their loved one to be monogamous.

• I dont mind meeting my ex's new girlfriends. They are welcome to join our social circle and I'm always friendly to them. As long as they are happy together.

• Yes, we were friends before we started dating and he helped through some shit but ultimately I fell out of love with him and I just loved him as a friend. I still really care about him but we just weren’t meant to be. We ended up being split apart when he got a new girlfriend who decided she hated me and tried to get rid of me, I backed off because he was pushing me away a little to make her happy.

1|0
    0|0
  • Currently being friendzoned by my ex. Breakup is still kinda fresh though, it happened back in April. Honestly you can't be friends with an ex until its like a year or after some time has passed and after feelings are gone... We talk everyday but i dont know where this is going.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have. We decided we were better friends and didn’t want to ruin anything if were to ever have a fall out. And we have been friends ever since, totally supportive of each other’s relationships and even introduce each other to people we date and hang out.

1|1
    0|0
  • I would like to stay friends because I don’t like to burn bridges with people I once cared for, but my exes tend to catch feelings again and then start to ghost me when they realize I don’t intend to date them again. It is hard to stay friends when the other person is hoping to get back together.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because I could talk to him, he still made me laugh, I was considering him as a sperm donor and also I harass him when I'm on my period. It does look like he hates me now though, he hasn't spoken to me since I asked him days ago if he was gay, I don't understandhow anyone could not want to marry me, I know he has to be gay and now he's mad at me and gone to kiss his boyfriend.

1|0
    0|0
  • I dated my guy friends brother once in high school. It was fine except I found him very boring and he asked me out a few times after that in which I said no. He still talks to me when I see him which is rare now that I moved away. He’s still nice to my friends too. It was a high school crush thing, we both got over it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm still on good terms with my ex, and we are in the same friend group. We parted on good terms in a mutual breakup so there was no reason to be resentful or angry. It helps that we are both over each other

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not friends with any of my exes, I've only been in 3 relationships. Including the one I'm in now. One of them held a grudge, I was 16 and him 17, so we were both pretty immature. The other was just a bad guy so I cut him out of my life completely.

0|0
    0|0
  • I recently read an article that says being friends with your ex may be a sign of photography... Yet I'm friends with all my exes.. I just don't see a reason to not be...

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m not against it in future relationships, but my most recent ex turned out to be a huge cunt and he tried to threaten me when we split, despite him being the one to “break up” with me. So, definitely not with him. If my future exes end up being decent people, then sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • My ex and I still live together. We remain good friends because we value each other’s friendship and traits :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Because he was my first and I was his first. And we new each other because our moms are friends and we hanged out a lot when we were little. We were dating for a year and at the end we didn't work out so without hard feelings we ended it an decided to remain friends. Because we didn't do anything bad to each other and we didn't want our relationship to ruin our moms friendship. Now we are best friends and it has been over a year from the breakup.

1|0
    1|0
  • Me and my ex were really good friends before we started dating. We broke up because we realized we would be better as friends and we ended it on good terms.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dated a guy for 7 months. He was 28 and I was 22. So as you can tell we we're both at totally different spots in life. We mutually broke up because of this. He was ready to settle down and start a life together with someone. I wasn't ready for this. However, we decided that it'd be better we just be friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m not close friends with two exes of mine and I don’t spend a lot of time talking to either of them. I do though like making sure some of them are doing alright and they were pretty cool to begin with. They are both long distance and i make it a standard to set standards for each of them. They have been more than respectful and one of them are very friendly as well. One has his own girlfriend and is doing well. That’s jus my case anyway and what I’ve been in, though in general, some are not worth it to talk to anymore and completely forget altogether.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, he was already in my friend group when we started dating and since we didn’t break up with a fight it made sense to stay friends

0|0
    0|0
  • We aren’t exactly friends but we are civil. We talk occasionally because we ended our relationship on good terms

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, because we realized we should have never tried to be more than friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes because we were friends before the relationship and we both agreed that we are toxic for each other in a romantic relationship!

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes