Has anyone remained friends with an ex? And if so for what reason?

I understand that there are certain reasons like a child to keep a friendship between eachother but for what other reason would there be unless there are still lingering feelings

3558

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm friends with 4 of my ex's. Two of them we agreed we were better friends then lovers. So we are friends and lovers no more. One of them she and I still have feelings for each other but were friends to keep touch. Her life isn't in a good place for a relationship which is fine she needs her time to work on her life. I honestly admire she did that and knew enough. The other were still friends she has major regrets but we get along so we still chat and stuff from time to time... even though she sometimes over shares things like her sex life.

• I am still friends with one ex. I dated her for 3 years over 15 years ago. For whatever reason, the dynamics of our friendship have worked out but it's not like we hang out all the time or anything like that. She even has had a boyfriend for the last 15 years who she met a year or so after she and I split up, and he's friendly and doesn't mind that she and I are friends. Normally I wouldn't be friends with an ex but for whatever reason this one works out.

Most Helpful Girls

• Unless you were with each other STRICTLY for sex and sex now being off the table - you'll LIKELY still have feelings for each other. There was an emotional element to the relationship, too, after all. So there is a basis of a friendship beneath the surface. That being said, it does depend on how and why you broke up. If you just didn't have compatible work/life schedules; then maybe you could be friends. But a major reason people break up is lack of trust - and frankly, no one wants a FRIEND in their life who they felt they couldn't trust.

• I'm still best friends with one of my exes, because we were best friends before we ever became an item. Met him when I was 15, dated on and off til around 18. I wouldn't say there are no romantic feelings there, but we just genuinely work really well as friends. We've always had that connection. Neither of us want a serious relationship for a long while now, since we both JUST got out of long, serious relationships that had really bitter endings. I can still talk to him about anything and I know that he always has the best advice, even if it's advice for a relationship I'm in. And vice versa. We were each other's first real girlfriend/boyfriend, so it's an interesting dynamic for sure lol. We'll always love each other, but we never let anything come between our friendship, even each other.

I'm friends with a few of my exes otherwise, and there haven't been any issues. We can still talk openly, we were friends longer than we were romantic. I think it depends on how it ended.