How to break up with someone you still love?

The story is too long to explain, but in short my boyfriend and I will never work out. I love him, but I have to end things. How do you break up with someone you are still in love with?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Don't put off breaking up when you know you want to
    Prolonging the situation only makes it worse
    Tell him honestly, simply, kindly, but firmly
    Don't make a big production
    Don't make up an elaborate story
    This will help you avoid a big tear-jerking scene
    If you want to date other people say so
    Be prepared for the boy to feel hurt and rejected
    Even if you've gone together for only a short time,
    And haven't been too serious
    There's still a feeling of rejection when someone says
    She preferers the company of others to your exclusive company
    But if you're honest, and direct
    And avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you break the news
    The boy will respect you for your frankness

0|2
    0|0
  • As long as you're 100% sure, you just have to do it. Don't be an idiot and do it impulsively after an argument, because that could come back to bite you bigtime. You'll second guess yourself at the best of times, the last thing you need is constantly wondering if anger clouded your judgment.

Be prepared, it will be absolutely horrible, but that's the unfortunate risk you take when entering into a relationship. You have to focus on all the reasons you need to leave, and never forget them. Just make sure it's the right decision before you do it, because trust me, it will feel like the wrong decision after you've done it, and will do until you come to terms with it. You'll realise eventually that it had to be done, and be glad, but it won't be easy at the time.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• This is one of those rip the Band-Aid situations. He may be cool about it, he may take it poorly, he may hate your guts. You got to figure out how you're going to structure the conversation in a way that he will be able to pay the fullest amount of attention before his emotions take over.

0|0
    0|0
  • Open up and be honest with him about how you feel. And don't put it off. The longer you do, the worse you'll feel about it. I made that mistake in my relationship, where I put off breaking up with her and I emotionally got worse every day.

It sucks, but if you feel like it really won't work, do it as soon as possible. Just know that after you do it, you should erase his number, texts, Facebook, anything that reminds you of him. It's not out of spite, but it's so you can allow yourself to heal. Spend time with friends and family, and work on yourself as a person. It'll be tough for a few weeks, but it gets easier as time goes on.

0|1
    0|0
  • Just ignore him don't reply or talk to them for a month he will definitely left you or maybe abuse you or bother you , that's it think about your family it gives you positive energy

0|0
    0|0
  • There isn't an easy way to do it , nothing will make it easy , so you just have to tell him and you must be honest and tell him everything you want to tell

0|0
    0|0
  • You just force yourself and take the hit. I did with kids. Still hurts after a long period of time. Will be better.

0|0
    0|0
  • You should just go for it and do your best to let go. Cut them from your life and focus on the nice stuff. Keep negative people out of your life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just be honest, it's such a pitty to feel sorry for him while being in a relationship with him

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you sure you love him lol?

0|0
    1|0
  • Honestly need more information

0|0
    0|0
    • What is there that is missing? She loves him, but she doesn't see a future with him. She's thinking logically instead of emotionally.

• Show All
    • You are using backwards logic to discredit her choice to end the relationship. You sound like she has no right to break up with him. You are acting as though this woman has no free will.

Eat shit, buddy.

• Just be upfront and tell him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mutual split, talk to them about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Gotta be honest.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tell them you hate dogs

0|0
    0|0
  • Simply say to him

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• Sit him down and tell him face to face why and be honest without being unkind.

0|0
    0|0
  • By just saying it to their face and sticking to it. There's no easy way to do it. You just have to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mmmm well, depends what it's the reason that make you want to break up the relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • Your Just Got Do it no sugar coding and make sure this is what you want.

0|0
    0|0
  • Leave

0|0
    0|0
  • That's really hard to do

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes