How to break up with someone you still love?

The story is too long to explain, but in short my boyfriend and I will never work out. I love him, but I have to end things. How do you break up with someone you are still in love with?

716

Most Helpful Guys

• Don't put off breaking up when you know you want to
    Prolonging the situation only makes it worse
    Tell him honestly, simply, kindly, but firmly
    Don't make a big production
    Don't make up an elaborate story
    This will help you avoid a big tear-jerking scene
    If you want to date other people say so
    Be prepared for the boy to feel hurt and rejected
    Even if you've gone together for only a short time,
    And haven't been too serious
    There's still a feeling of rejection when someone says
    She preferers the company of others to your exclusive company
    But if you're honest, and direct
    And avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you break the news
    The boy will respect you for your frankness

• As long as you're 100% sure, you just have to do it. Don't be an idiot and do it impulsively after an argument, because that could come back to bite you bigtime. You'll second guess yourself at the best of times, the last thing you need is constantly wondering if anger clouded your judgment.

Be prepared, it will be absolutely horrible, but that's the unfortunate risk you take when entering into a relationship. You have to focus on all the reasons you need to leave, and never forget them. Just make sure it's the right decision before you do it, because trust me, it will feel like the wrong decision after you've done it, and will do until you come to terms with it. You'll realise eventually that it had to be done, and be glad, but it won't be easy at the time.

Most Helpful Girl