Do people actually move on that fast after a breakup?

You know how when you’re in a relationship and things don’t work out so your partner decides to break up with you, leaving you empty and confused while the person is okay and seems pretty happy.

Do people actually get over over relationships that fast? or do they just act like that to make you feel a certain way or covering up their true feelings?

I've never experienced this, but I do see this happening and I’m kind of curious

2|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I think it happens most often when the love you feel isn't even. One person gets emotionally invested and the other doesn't.

Grief hurts the most when you picture the loss of future things. (a future together, future dates, etc) If one of you doesn't love the other then they probably didn't make deep future plans about the other.

It's also very very common to leave for someone else. Sadly I've done this. I feel terrible about doing it, like I am a total ass. I suspect bad boys don't feel that way. Point is they aren't sad because they aren't loosing anything, they are gaining a new partner.

1|0
    0|0
    • Can’t say you’re right for doing that but also can’t say you’re wrong. Things happen for a reason. at least you were being honest about how you felt, rather than keeping it yourself and continue acting like a jerk. Sometimes you can’t please everyone, you can’t make them love you the way you love them, you can’t force yourself to see the connection. That’s not how the heart is supposed to work you know?

Now you and that other person will find someone better, I guess this is how life is

• Girls move on much quicker. I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Most females have backup plans, meaning guys they aren't dating because they are taken. So, they just start dating the day after they break up. This is a generalization.

For guys, it could be a little harder and less timely to move on. If they hook up they are just trying to get over the girl.

In either case, if the girl/guy broke up with the person, then yes it's very easy to move on. They are done with you.

1|1
    0|0
    • How about the ones who aren’t able to love you because they are depressed or have a lot of things going on so they push you away? in this case, does it mean they’re actually done with you?

• I've been exactly that guy. I had a girl I should've married. She accepted me for all of my faults. I think they are done with you.

I know that I was. I couldn't get over my personal setbacks. What you can take away from that relationship is that you are better off without them. I see my ex happy, and that is all I could want for her.

Most Helpful Girls

• Well it depends. If a person is over the person and ends the relationship then yes he or she can walk away and move on. Sometimes people grow away from each other. It doesn’t mean they don’t care about the person they just not in love with the person. Then there’s relationships that either person break up for a reason. This type of break up is a forced break up. It’s not because either part grew apart but what another party did or didn’t do to the other. So that party will break up for pride or being hurt but that doesn’t mean they still don’t love the person.

1|1
    0|0
    • Fair enough. Well how about the ones where one partner has depression and constantly try to push you away when you’ve tried to help them and stuff?

• Show All
    • Yeah, true that. I’m gonna be there for her when she needs it, thanks by the way

• Your welcome. Anytime.

• I generally move on quickly, but that's mainly because the majority of my breakups were amicable. I can imagine it being harder if things ended on a sour note.

1|0
    0|0
    • Some assume that people who get over a breakup fast means that they’ve never loved them in the first place. Do you think it’s true?

• Not necessarily. Some people recoup faster than others, some people need a much longer time to recover. It's normal.

• Fair enough

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 58

• I do, but a lot of People have a hard time doing it. I think it may get easier when you're a Little older and have already experienced breakups, but there is no hard and fast rule on that.

1|1
    0|0
    • How about long term relationships? like two years or so? do you see yourself getting over a break up that fast?

• Yes, even my marriage. I think part of it is that you often know it is over before it actually is.

• Fair enough

• Some people act fine, but generally the faster you move on, the less you cared about the other person in the first place.

3|0
    1|0
    • That isn’t true for everyone

• Show All
    • People who are depressed over beak ups and still try to get into a relationship are very destructive. Moving on doesn’t mean jumping into something new. Moving on is being happy with yourself and the idea of being alone and no longer being heavily affected by the pain. It’s just closing a chapter.
      That doesn’t necessarily translate to go ahead and try to love someone else.
      If you’re pushing your partner away over some old emotional crap, then you should know that you shouldn’t have gotten with them in the first place.

• @Ellie-V yeah true, I’ve been in a situation where I somewhat loved someone but I felt like they weren’t in the right mindset or mentally stable to be in a relationship with me so I just let them be but also be there when they need me.

• Most women move on very fast regardless on how long they have been with someone. They switch off from one person and just move on to the next. People say guys do it too but I have never seen it happen. A lot of women I have known already have another guy waiting before the break-up happens so they just move on like nothing has happened. It seems very rare when a man has that option.

2|1
    0|0
  • Lol they probably already started talking to another girl while with you, so it made getting over you easier.

1|0
    0|0
    • Lmao possibly

• That's what I used to do when I knew my relationships were on the brink of ending. It made the transition to a life without them much easier. No need to be stuck on one girl when their are a plethora of women. Know what I'm saying, broski?

• I get what you mean dude, it does make sense

• Not everyone moves forward that fast, they either didn’t care that much about the relationship anymore or they deal with it emotionally behind closed doors.

I think it depends on the situation and the person. I’ve been broken up with and I accepted it with ease and other moments I’ve broken down and was crying for weeks.

Everyone process stress and emotional pain differently

2|0
    0|0
  • Seriously if you really like I mean love that he or she moving on isn't an option you'll feel that feeling for a lifetime. Moving on is more something relation to crushing on someone on only being attracted to physical appearance or when you had an unhealthy relationship. For me personally I still love her I've been trying to move on but is not possible it's been 5 years

1|0
    0|0
  • Males tend to a lot faster. Women usually are a lot more invested emotionaly and can get poisoned by breakups especially if it's the first time having sex. Every time a woman is in one she leaves a peice of herself behind. If it happens enough times she ends up very damaged and bitter and hating all men. It can also them mistrustful and vindictive.

1|0
    0|0
  • This doesn't apply equally to everyone. I have seen more women move on simply because they feel like they need to be with someone. Personal experience has me at a 2 week to 3 month period of grief. There are some that you just never get over. You just keep their memories locked in yout heart.

1|0
    0|0
  • Women typically move on really fast because they were with the next guy long before the previous relationship was over. But men typically have an actual emotional connection and it takes them much longer to move on

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm probably the wrong guy to answer this. I divorced my ex wife, and it has been years, but I still love her. I regret not making it work, but it is what it is. Its weird cause we would work out perfect now. she's actually become me in her current marriage. But yeah, I still have a soft spot for her.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they did the leaving they are already over you. Often they have waited to do so until there is someone else in the picture

1|0
    0|0
  • If one person is ok it means its been building for time, and the more the other person is wanting to know where they went wrong. That empowers the other person confirming they was right in the first place to make the decsion to end things.

2|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the person. Some people are cold and feel nothing from it, others may take weeks or even months to recover. I fall in the latter category.

1|1
    0|0
  • I do not. I've invested too much time and energy to love this person that it may take me a long time to process and deal with the break up. For her, it seemed like she was on to something else the day of the break up. Probably was cheating before the break up that's why the separation was so easy on her.

0|0
    0|1
  • Sometimes they were over the relationship before they ended it. Most people find breaking up with someone difficult to do. Move on, focus on yourself and along the way you will find another who appreciates you and what you do

1|0
    0|0
  • Well.. I did tbh. I really loved her but I'm so cold with human feelings, I don't know. I guess I only understand real pain

1|0
    0|0
  • I usually move on real fast and look for someone else asap, but these days there's nothing to move on from, and it's fun making moves on a new interest😍

0|0
    0|0
  • Tbh I have a hard time getting close to people so unless we were dating for years it wouldn't bother me at all

1|0
    0|0
  • If someone move on surprisingly fast, let's say within a week then it definitely means they doesn't love the other party. It's pretty simple.

1|0
    0|0
    • No, it’s not that simple. Moving on from a heartbreak doesn’t discredit whatever feelings came before the drama. Being happy is choice. It may be a hard choice to make, but either way, only you have the power to pick yourself back up, and if that happens quickly, it just means they decided to do what was best for them instead of dwelling on things they can’t change

• Show All
    • What makes you think I didn’t communicate my feelings

• I haven't been subjective on you. I was expressing from a generic sense. So, if you have communicated the issues with ur partner before the final call, then I don't see anything wrong in that.

• I think it depends on how long they were dating for to begin with before the breakup. I’ve never dated in my life so it’s hard for me to say but that is what I believe.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 30

• It depends on what happened. If it was a bad breakup, both parts can feel pretty shitty for a long time. If there was cheating or abuse involved, one part could be very relieved to be away from you.

0|0
    0|0
  • They leave you it's a lot harder cuz usually u weren't wanting it to end.
    If you leave them then u were ready to get away from his ass and already began to move on before leaving his ass.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think when people "move on" really quickly, it's most likely because they were unhappy for a while in the relationship. Kind of like they did their grieving while they were still together if that makes sense.

2|0
    0|0
  • Some people bounce back quickly, and some don't. It depends on a lot of things. If they were in love, the situation that caused the breakup, the length of time they were together, etc. It's also just a personal thing, you may get over thongs very quickly, or you may dwell on them for awhile.

1|0
    0|0
  • If I move on fast, my heart was never yours. Maybe I wasn’t as Infatuated with you as much as I displayed.
    I could have also had my eye on someone else who I liked better.
    A relationship is a difficult thing... usually it takes a while to move on, just to be sure I am ready.

1|0
    0|0
  • It definitely depends on the person. I thought I was in love with my ex and even had my first time with him but when we broke up I moved on in like 2 weeks, I thought I would never move on from him it hurt that bad... but I moved on real quick

1|0
    0|0
  • Some people move on in two seconds, some in two years.
    Me personally, I move on very quickly. Not everyone is the same. I just stop caring that they exist 😂 they’re erased from my mind and therefore, my world. No one has that much power over you unless you give it to them. And I don’t see how wasting my time dwelling on a dead deal is productive. Yeah, emotions and feelings are sticky. But I make the choice to continue with my life in a positive head space.

0|0
    0|0
  • It really depends. Usually the person that initiated the breakup has thought about it for a while and has imagined his/her life without you so he/she has been distancing themselves and preparing for the breakup or separation so yes the one doing the break up could move along rather quickly because they were getting over you whilst still being with you.

1|0
    0|0
  • Mostly, they act that way.
    You don’t want to be alone and you want to apews things up. You want something to take your mind off of the hurt and something to distract you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Physically they can... mentally is usually the hidden challenge.

1|0
    0|0
  • Some people move on fast mostly because they weren't interested to begin with, or things just weren't working out for them for a while. I personally think a person moves on quickly cause they just don't care.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes people can get over a relationship that fast. Especially when they realize that person wasn't right for them. Things do happen. People do grow apart. People do move on faster more when they find someone that treat them way better.

0|0
    0|0
  • It might depend on how much you like the person and the memories of the relationship.

1|1
    0|0
  • I move on super fast. The only time I didn't was with the guy I got back with. I realized I'd never move on and that I shouldn't have left him.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends how long I been with the person. I been with my husband 5 years before getting married. If we to break up it take at least 5 years younger then me. Mostly if it s serious.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the person/individual and the situation on matters as to why they chose to break up.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably there is already someone else... It happened to me.. Cry and cry and it all be good... Then let it go... It's hard but You will get over it ✌️

0|0
    0|0
  • That shit happens all the time. If they move on too fast then that just means committing to you wasn't a. Their forte, b. Was making them contentful.

And it's not always because of you or your company. Some people are just fickle that way.
    They want what they can't have and once hey get it, they grow tired of the mundane chore-like lifestyle very quickly.

Some people simply aren't meant to commit in general or to you.

And it's not because something's wrong with you, it's probably because they just want something else.

1|0
    0|0
  • If they do it usually means that they were cheating or were already thinking about doing so

0|0
    0|0
  • When one feels the other may break up he/She should orgnize another love.. kind stand by just in case

0|0
    1|1
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes