Why do exes try to make you feel guilty about the break up?

Is this their way of “guilt tripping” you into taking them back?

Why talk about the mistakes committed in the relationship months after the breakup? What’s the point of it?

Has this ever happened to you?

1668

Most Helpful Guys

• There could be many reasons. They may do it so they can pass all the blame on you for the breakup. That way they don't feel responsible for their part. Some do try to make their ex guilty as a way to " guilt trip" them into getting back together. Some do it as a way to get back and degrade their exes. Many possible reasons.

The point of it depends on what their motives and intentions are for bringing it up. If it's for negative reasons, it's not worth taking to them. I haven't had this happen, not yet anyway.

• Well I personally think they knew in some way they fucked up relationship also, but they loved you, so what is better way to releaf yourself from feeling of guilt? Blame and make guilt feeling on you so they can feel better. Do you dig me? It is they who have feeling of guilt and they have hard time dealing with that so they blame you , to releaf their conscious. Also I dont know to write in English but I think best word is "vanity". There is lot more vanity in man then in woman. Do you know that I dont talk with my first love for almost 13 years. When we stumble to each other we just look to each others eyes and pass. And when we were breaking up in past she said so many insults to me even that... that I am no man enough, she strike me with that sentence like with arrow in the bottom of the heart, but I didn't say single word because I loved her, when I was exiting from her house I just turn around and said "Maybe in this life our love isn't meant to be, but when we meet in next life I will love you just as much as I loved you in this"

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes this has happen to me.
    Sometimes people grow in other ways when they are no longer in a relationship that they didn't see was an issue whim themselves until loosing you.
    Other times they're abusive in a toxic cycle they've seen, and its not a good idea to ever communicate with them, stay nor get back together.

Talking your way back into someones life is usually not a good idea...
    but at times people have things they don't talk about that directly or indirectly contribute to your break up (his mama doesn't like you, his friends want to date you, his dad thinks you'll be a great addition to the family, his promotion changes the manner that he dresses)
    Now if the person was going through something that's life changing and the breakup wasn't crazy then its times it can work...
    but I would want to work on how to handle the situation with the other person if... no... when it happens again ( car accident , death of a sibling, parent, job loss, failing school, foreclosure , a bully at work)
    without any... boundaries, personal growth and change in behavior and communication and a lot of other factors...
    getting back together will be a challenge. It's just easier for some people to move on and learn from it... while others keep doing the same thing that is not working with a new person.

• I would feel happy if somebody told me why they were breaking up with me - it gives me closure and lets me know how I can behave differently in the next relationship and also what my chances are of getting back together if that is what I want.