Have you ever tried to be friends with your ex?

Did ya?

I have and its an absolute shit show

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I did and I soon say the shitty mess she was hiding while we dated. She was so messed up mentally and soon after twistted everything kept asking me constantly if I was just friends so I could have sex with her virgin ass.

Soon after she told me we could never be friends after she flipped out from me complimenting our mutual friend and giving her a good bye hug in front of her.

0|0
    0|0
  • Waste of time. One person invariably still haa feelings or at least resentment. The offer of friendship after a breakup is often because one party or the other is too scared to let go. Far better to just let go. Maybe a friendship can happen later down the line when the feelings are gone.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I tried right after we broke up, and like yours, it turned into a complete shit show. When my ex could no longer manipulate/control me, he lost his marbles. He accused me of taking his stuff like a laundry hamper, which was actually mine and told me I had to let him see *my* dog and spend time with her alone. I said no because he was physically abusive towards her so that enraged him even more. Once I finished dealing with shit we had to deal with (apartment lease stuff), I blocked him on everything. I'm never staying friends with an ex ever again

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I've had no need to. I prefer to cut all ties and move forward with my life. Remaining friends with an ex just creates drama within new relationships. It complicates life. Plus , I'd find it disrespectful to a new boyfriend if I remained friends with an ex. Even if he was ok about it, I'd still view it as disrespectful

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 72

• There’s a reason you ended your relationship, so why put yourself through the same cycle all over again?

0|1
    0|0
  • I am still friends with an ex gone lesbian lover. We still hate each other but a bond is still there and we tell each other everything, more so than when we were together.

2|0
    0|0
  • My ex said she wanted to remain civil despite treating me like dirt off and on for years. It just can't be done. That doesn't mean you have to act like an asshole but if someone screws you over you shouldn't lower yourself just to make them happy. Remember the female catchphrase "I deserve to be happy." Even if they cheat on you they still expect this even if they leave you high and dry after a divorce. There is no point in trying to remain friends with people like that.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes and we r best friends or close friends with many of them. Just because the relationship didn't work doesn't mean the love ended.
    Most that can't be friends is because relationship ended badly od they r still young and immature probably under 35 still. Ask the age of people that say they count. don't be friends and u will see I'm right. Hehe

0|1
    0|0
  • I did. 67 times with my ex back in a residential school. back and forth and back and forth to the point where we went back dating then breaking up again. Word to the wise for everyone, don't try to be friends with your ex, just stay from them and move. Otherwise you going to get those feelings hurt again and again

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean, I tried to be friends with my ex, but considering the situation she made it very difficult, so we both kind of decided that it was better to leave each other be for a while. This was nearly 2 months ago and we still don't speak. Honestly, it all depends on the situation that you break up on. If I could I would be friends with my ex

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, it eventually just fizzled out thanks to the physical distance. Probably less disastrous than it could have been.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why do some people constantly insist on maintaining a friendship with an ex to their detriment. There's a reason your ex is an ex. Move on, people. Just move on!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah been down that road. Love her to death but that shit just doesn't work for long unless you're completely done with the other person, Which begs the question why are you still trying to maintain some kind of relationship with someone you're done with?

0|0
    0|0
  • Worst idea ever. From personal experience in this field, people you sleep with and you are now broken up. ALWAYS have feeling, either good ones but usually bad ones. I say give it a couple years then try again 🤗

0|0
    0|0
  • One of my exes is one of my best Friends, but she is an exceptionally Kind and giving Person (which is what attracted me to her in the first place).

0|0
    0|0
  • Various failures, varying degrees of success depending on the ex. I would say at this time I'm effectively friends with none of them now. But I'm cordial with most and friendly with one.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. It has worked out twice and failed once. Somehow the third time around was the time it failed. It depends on the two people trying to be friends really. Can you? Only you two can answer that. No harm in trying though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never tried to be friends with an ex girlfriend. I simply moved on to other things, and we ran in different crowds.

0|0
    0|0
  • Almost always. If you truly love them, you love them, and want what's best for them, even if it isn't you. But if it becomes toxic it isn't worth being friends anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some people can be, some can't. depends a lot on how the dynamics and how well developed all involved are. (most tends to not be developed enough)

0|0
    0|0
  • I tried, she just wanted me to suffer more than before... only one ex I am still friends with... bit I guess I actually saved her life... so... maybe that is why

0|0
    0|0
  • It sucks for me personally and not because i did anything bad
    Most of them will want me back but i'll rather give us the space to move ahead and experience another relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • I am friends with several exes. I only become an item with women I like, so if it doesn't work out she still has qualities that I like.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes we can be friends with our ex as, ex means that she isn't wishing us to be her better half and we too cannot expect her to be the same, but in friendship we can reflect how she behaves to us

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 21

• It all depends on how the relationship ended. I'm still on good terms with two of my exs, we aren't friends to the extent where we hang out a lot. But we chat from time to time through social media.

One ex however, who cheated on me, he's a ghost. I know where he's at in life though people talking about him, but I couldn't care less.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have tried to keep a friendship with two guys after breaking up with them. Neither one accepted my attempts to be their friends. Things didn't end badly really, they just ended because I realized we didn't have any future together in an intimate relationship. I still liked them as guys in general but they did not favor the idea of friendship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I have and still am after 7+ years I always get mad, frustrated and don’t see what’s the point I want to get him completely out of my life but in my heart I can’t.

1|0
    0|0
  • I did but it's kinda miserable. All we talk about is what ifs and we still have sex even though we don't wanna be together.

0|0
    0|0
  • yeh my best friend is actually my ex boyfriend - we realised that we werent in love but more like best friends which is awesome now because we are so genuine and happy with each other

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m friends with some of my exes and some of my exes hate my guts. It depends on how mature they are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Liza and David are making it work so unless it was ugly, why shouldn't you?

0|0
    0|0
  • Have tried this a couple of times... Never works out for the better unfortunately

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree with you completely. I tried and he was a jerk

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I wouldn’t ever want to be.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yupp didn't work out

0|0
    0|0
  • You definitely can't

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I've tried

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I'm still friends with her now

0|0
    0|0
  • Its a bad idea specially if he is single

0|0
    0|0
  • No, and I won't. No reason to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have for 3months...
    And now we're back together 🙈

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually I’m still friends with 3, acquaintances with two. A couple I don’t bother with. It all just depends on the maturity level and how close you were really.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah my ex boyfriend said he wanted to still be friends but guess what he never texted me after that and now ignores me me when i ask him to change his ig profile picture because it's the two of us.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes