How do I deal with trust issues?

So after having been played in my previous relationships, lied to and cheated on, I feel like I have developed some trust issues. It’s been building up for some time, but the final relationship where I found out he was cheating changed something inside me completely.
I’ve started having these random thoughts pop up in my head like ‘oh that’s a nice shirt my brother is wearing... wonder if he’s about to see a side chic’ or ‘This dude looks hot and seems smart - he must be a good player’. And this happens all the time, whether it’s a stranger or someone I know, (and know they wouldn’t be a cheater, but can’t help but feel like that). In the back of my head I started subconsciously seeing a liar in every guy, thinking that some are just better than others. I even stopped wanting a relationship at all, as I feel that at the end of the day they will just play me and hurt me all over again.
Is this what you call trust issues? And how do I deal with this? People say that I’m still hurting and just need to heal, but I’m not sure, - I’ve been hurt before but I’ve never felt this way before... it’s something completely different. I’m well off so I could afford seeing a psychologist to talk about this - do you think I should? Or would it be unhelpful and do I really just need to wait?
  • Yes, chat to a psychologist, it would help
  • Nah, you just need some time to heal
I understand this is unhealthy and I don’t want to project it on other people to ruin friendships or potential relationships. That’s why I want to know how to deal with it.

624

Most Helpful Guys

• Everyone's perceptions about anything are always influenced by situations that have happened in their life. Any time someone feels as though talking to a psychologist would help, it probably would help and I would recommend it. Not everyone is a cheater, but a lot of people are. The fact that you need to realize is that it isn't something that you can control. Whether someone is, or isn't, you can't change it. The best thing I can think of to recommend is for like every day people just try remember that it doesn't matter if they are or are not because it's not something that you can control. If you start talking to someone new, let them you about your trust issues, don't do anything nuh sexual with them for a long time. The longer they will be with you without having sex, the higher chance of them being a cheater deminishes.

• A psychologist, or at least the right one, would help you to open up and help to give you ideas about how to heal. It can't be taken care by them completely you will have to stuff on your own too but I think a therapist is better, drugs are not needed at least not for the first part anyway. I have used a therapist for many years and it's just like talking to a good friend. But I'd find at least a friend to open up to, that in it's self can be extremely helpful. Maybe journaling might help you too!! Get all your thoughts out on paper.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more