Is there a penalty if women cheat in marriage?

I recently have been hooking up with a married woman recently, It's clear that she wants to keep this overly discrete. But why?

It seems that if a women cheats on her husband, the worst that can happen is that her net worth doubles and she keeps her kids. Is there any reason why a woman cares if she gets caught?

29

Most Helpful Girl

• The word is spelled discreet.

And women face the same negative consequences that men face. Everything from nothing bad really happening all the way to getting divorced, and sometimes it even results in the woman getting beaten or killed.

Divorce also does not do what you think it does.

• I’m fairly young so I’m not going to assume I know more than you about this, but “same negative consequences as men” sounds utterly ludicrous to me.

You will always hear men that complain/never want to get married. Whereas almost every woman wants to get married haha. Surely you’ve heard the horror stories for divorced husbands?

• I call bullshit.
      Cite your sources.

• @Chaz269
      Was this directed at me? A google search will get you pages and pages of articles, the only thing that she mentioned was domestic disturbance and murder which men have to answer for anyway?

Most Helpful Guy

• Your assumptions about the usual consequences are grossly flawed.

• what do you mean? I’m not assuming anything, just look everything that happens to a cheating husband and you will see that won’t happen ever to a woman.

• I practice law in Florida and this answer is based on the law in Florida.

The answer depends on the issue. If child custody and visitation are at issue, the infidelity of a party is relevant to their fitness too be a parent. Can they be a good role model for their children? Will they take the time to devote to the children instead of their paramour? Have they flaunted the infidelity in front of the children?

If children are not an issue, then the other issues are 1) division of assets and liabilities, and 2) alimony. In general, what you owned before the marriage remains yours after the marriage, unless you have added your spouse to the title. What you acquired during the marriage is divided evenly, unless one spouse has intentionally dissipated assets or used assets to finance their infidelity.

MORE

• Alimony is awarded based on the length of the marriage, the age and health of the parties, their earning capacities. Permanent alimony is generally not awarded unless the parties have been married for at least 17+ years. If they are close in earning potential, alimony is not awarded. Unfortunately - and I disagree with this aspect of the law - a spouse's infidelity does not prevent them from receiving alimony. However, you should also be aware that there are cases where the wife earns more than the husband and she ends up paying alimony to her ex husband.

I am not suggesting that divorce laws are perfect in Florida but they are MUCH more fair than most amateur lawyers want to believe.