How do you get over an ex?

1|4

Most Helpful Guys

• Getting over someone you liked or loved is a very different process for everyone, but there are things that can help everyone get over someone else. Don't drink and sleep around for a while if it is recent. While that will feel good in the moment, you will wake up the next morning feeling worse than you did before. Don't seek comfort in cheap thrills. Alternatively, you could end up feeling even more depressed when you're intoxicated, either way, alcohol and sex are not the solutions to your problem. Make sure that you block them as well. After you break up, your ex-whatever signifies everything that you are leaving behind, and you cannot leave them behind if you are still seeing them everywhere, and what they are doing without you. If you're on good terms then you could only do this for a while, but make sure you're ready to see their faces again once you do, but if not them keep them out of your hair forever. Furthermore, if you're leaving them behind, you are also leaving behind a version of yourself in that relationship. Change can be a good thing after you break up with someone, so perhaps a change of style or a new fitness regime is a good way to express a different version of yourself without a partner. Finally, get out there and do interesting things, fill up your time. People say that time flies when you're having fun and that really is very true. The more time you spend doing nothing by yourself, the more time you are alone with your thoughts and can potentially sink. Surround yourself with company and fun activities, so that your focus is always placed elsewhere from the past.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cut them out of your life until such time as you heal. Don't chase them, don't watch them from afar. Don't spend your time wearing rose tinted spectacles, imagining that everything was perfect and can't be replaced. It wasn't perfect because you broke up and it can indeed be replaced. Nobody is that amazing that there is nobody equivalent or better out there.

Expect that it will suck, expect that you will feel shitty at times. Those things are normal. Don't feel like you need to run from those feelings. They are part of the process. You are healing for every moment of pain you go through.

Be patient, keep busy, don't waste more than a week or two listening to sad songs and moping. Drag yourself up and out and get on with life.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It depends if you really loved someone. If you do then you never really get over them. You will always think about them but as time go by less and less. We have accepted the relationship is over and accepted the person is no longer in your life. If you’re in a new relationship with someone you look it makes it easier but you’ll still think of that person from time to time. Getting over your ex is one accepting their no longer an item and is fine with it.
    How? First accept that it’s over. Second move on with your life. The problem most people have is the idea they can win them back. Or not understanding that someone can still love you but things that happen has changed the love or how they see you. Once you let go of the idea of reconciliation or sexual activities then you’ll be able to move on. Let go of the idea, stop trying because it’s over. That’s how you get over a ex in some aspect but if you truly loved them they’ll always be close to your heart.

1|0
    0|0
  • Spend as much time as you can with your family and friends, block your ex and have no contact with them, take up a new hobby or go to the gym to keep yourself distracted and watch a funny film to make yourself happy. Best of luck!

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 77

• I have a girl that i can't get over, and i think it is normal because i really loved her with all my heart.

So it's normal i guess to have this one person that you can't get over because they might seem like they're the love of your life, to me it always felt like that.

And i see comments saying : Start dating new people.

Yeah you can do that, if you are ready for it.

I'm now still recovering from losing the girl, and i'm still hurting and it's almost been a year now.

And personally it's not on my mind to start dating new people atm but that's just me.

I never loved someone as much as her, so i try to take it as 'normal'...

We just have to keep going and keep on healing.

If you are hurting to much you can always try to avoid that person.

I even deleted my fb account because i couldn't keep myself from going on her profile to check out what she was doing and with who.

Then i realized that i was only hurting myself more with this, and i couldn't stop myself from doing that.

I know it's harsh to delete your fb account but i needed a fresh start anyways and tbh i feel way happier living a life without fb.

I have more time for myself to go workout or do hobby's or work around the house.

At the end of the day you get something back from that, while if you sit on fb in ur freetime reminiscing people that are better left forgotten, and comparing your life to others ppl's life.

You don't get nothing back from that, it will most likely make you unhappy and insecure at some given time. Because life isn't always rainbows and unicorns.

So yeah getting of fb helped me a lot, i don't know how your situation is if you see your ex regulary (i luckily don't) but you might want to evade him if it's hurting you to much.

1|0
    0|0
  • By focusing on how very many ways that person didn't meet my needs... And how breaking up with me might just be the latest e example. If you stop seeing that person as some sort of ideal human that rejected you and instead as the flawed human they really are, who didn't commit to giving you what you need and deserve, you stop pining after them so much.

0|0
    0|0
  • By deleting him completelyand say you made a mistake... you are the one to. blamed and you were WRONG.

0|0
    0|0
  • Logically, you need to get your mind off of your ex. The best way to do that is to find a new love interest. Once you are feeling the same way for another person as you used to for your ex, you will have now moved on and gotten over your ex!

0|0
    0|0
  • It takes time and a lot of distractions but healthy ones.

You gotta let out those emotions, so buy yourself a big box of Kleenex and hug that pillow whenever it gets too intense to keep it bottled up for that day.

You have to focus on yourself and spending time with friends and family till you nurse yourself back up to your normal self. So pick up a hobby, further your studies, aim for that promotion at your job, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • First of all there's ALWAYS ( I mean it) a better option available, but we all take too long to understand this, and we keep on dragging the unworthy relationships thinking that he/she is the only one. Get out of this mentality and get back on your A game girl.
    Think of scientists - they love their research/project, but most of the time they fail, get their heart broken, but next day they try to change their plans and keep going. So keep going no matter what.

2|0
    0|0
  • If you truly loved them expect to carry the memories forever. They won't go away but you will learn over time to live with it. If you didn't really love them then it shouldn't be too hard to get over someone once the hurt feelings heal. The quickest way is to find someone else. You will be surprised how quickly you can move on when you are waking up to someone new everyday.

1|0
    0|0
    • Find someone else your really attracted too just can’t be anybody lol. Then that will work.

• Show All
    • Well I guess being available is enough just in case you meet that someone.

• @Madkeyra00 I guess you have to make it known you are available without appearing desperate for a date and that can be a little difficult. Sometimes I think I am too friendly and it scares women away but maybe I am over-thinking on that.

• Seriously just date people who ride motor cycles or good friends of your ex or even new room mates.
    Make sure your ex's sees you too thats the sweetest feeling ever making him regret breaking up with you.
    Good luck hope that helps

0|0
    0|0
  • If you want to get over your ex just get back to doing you get back to doing things that make you happy and most importantly have fun with it. And make sure the very next time you see him you're looking your best you look absolutely beautiful let him see what he's missing that that best revenge ever lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree with the one who wrote "stop all form of communications". Find a new hobby, fill your time, do something useful, meet new people. Time, the great healer, will take care of the rest. But it all starts with ending it completely, no ifs or buts.

0|0
    0|0
  • I look at this one the same way i do a bad habit. You want to avoid thinking abouy it/them and if your mind strays to it/them reinforce this with a negative observation of it/them. In other words an ex is an ex for a good reason dont forget why and you won't find yourself weak and crawling back.

0|0
    0|0
  • A lot of people say find someone else and it's good advise, but I would advise against going out with someone for the sole reason being that you'd stop thinking about an ex. You'd just leave that person in the same situation as you when you finish. Instead you just have to try to stop thinking about your ex. There's not much I can say to help you. You just got to figure it out by yourself.

0|0
    0|0
    • I believe if you truly loved someone you’ll always think about them. However one has to accept the relationship is over. Most people that don’t except or feel there’s always a chance, I made them love me before I can do it again will never get over their ex. It’s all starts and end with accepting it’s over and moving on. It’s the end of that relationship but not the end of the world lol.

• @Madkeyra00 You are right. I'm surprised more people don't realize this.

• Have sex with other women. It's super simple, once you get physical with 2 or 3, you start to realize that they actually sucked for hurting you. Once you hit 5 you'll never even think of them in a positive or negative way. Then you're over them. I wish I knew this when I was your age!

0|0
    0|0
  • Obviously you need to get into some work and focus on it so that your mind wouldn't get to think about that guy. Sooner when you start to taste the success you won't even try to think of your ex. That's the best way anyone can overcome any obstacles. that might not necessarily be an ex, it relates to every hurdle in one's life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its soo stupid to have thouts about ex.. that person was not worth you and yoir time. And now its gone and you still. Fucking your mind about the thing wich has gone. Put this into your head.. its just expierence wich makes you better.

0|1
    0|0
  • As one person already said. Time mainly. Unless you find a rebound, hang out with friends more for emotional support, or just convince yourself you deserve better, it's mainly time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Easy, remember there are 7.4 billion people on earth. One is your ex, and I am damn sure you got other people who will match with you

That's a practical way to say, life goes on. With more reason when your ex doesn't want to give it a second try.

0|0
    0|0
  • Get a new date. Duh.

If you were ever actually in love with someone you never get over that. It just doesn't go away. EVER. DAMHIK

1|1
    0|0
    • Let me ask you. You seem to speak from experience. If you never get over that person ever what if you had to see them often maybe every month or 2 Weeks. How would you cope? Or would that make it worse or better?

• @Madkeyra00 - You dated someone at work? Get a new job.

• With time. But I feel like love never truly fades away. It'll always be there just might not be as strong as it used to

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 22

• I think it totally depends on the break you had.
    My break up was healthy. I stopped every contact with him. I was so unhappy in my relationship that as soon as I was alone in my new flat, it was like I was finally free. I have felt great ever since.

0|0
    0|0
  • Watch LifeTime
    Exercise. Put thinks that he gave you in a box. Get back into dating right away. Find activities that you want to try and do them. Pray. Write a letter to them and then put it on the box. Stop talkimg about him. Read breakup books that give you activity tasks to help shift your mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no set way to get over an ex, mine usually involves one day of wallowing with bad movies and junk food, then a night of binge drinking and then a week health kick where I let my frustrations out running or gyming and then a couple of days doing fun things with friends (kayaking or water parks) then I get into a new routine to refocus my brain... I’ve been through a variety of breakups, some harder than others...

0|0
    0|0
  • Everything happens for a reason. You need to realise that. Leave the past to where it belongs. Try involving yourself in things you like to do, engage in different activities and reach out to friends and family. People come and go, life goes on.

0|0
    0|0
  • make sure to keep yourself busy but not to much that you're overwhelmed. give it time, let yourself cry as much as you have to and be patient with yourself. sometimes it takes longer than you think to get over it but it depends. you can always start dating again when u feel ready. wish u the best of luck :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Focus on you, do you go to the gym? Try working out if you don't, it makes you feel confident and you have an hour to yourself to think only about you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well be happy you can do whatever you want without someone wanting to join in or ask a bunch of questions I don't know

0|0
    0|0
  • Distract yourself!! Go out have fun flirt and date new people :)

0|0
    0|0
  • start focusing on yourself and your needs and always ALWAYS keep your friends around

0|0
    0|0
  • Do the level up challenge. Cut off all communication for exactly one year and stop talking about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fuck his best friend. Or his brother. Or best yet, his father. Be his mommy bitch!!

0|0
    0|1
  • Cut them off FOR GOOD.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only with time sadly

0|0
    0|0
  • With a new guy..

0|0
    0|0
  • Get a prettier one

0|0
    0|0
  • don't think about them

0|0
    0|0
  • Whatever reminds you of him, throw away. Have a postitivw attitude.

0|0
    0|0
  • recount the flaws and forget him, he doesn't appreciate yours so be sure that you have an ironclad standard list that meets your compatibility for your next person who might help you put your brokenhearted pieces together and show you what love is truly all about..

0|0
    0|0
  • Try getting over someone you have to work with!! Especially when he’s got his arms draped over the new girl right in front of you! I just fake being over him till I really am! I just picture what a total twat he is whenever I think about him. I’m doing really well to be honest! It was hard at first but now I know what he’s really like, I’m doing better!

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes