How did you feel after your first break up?

What did you feel like when your first relationship broke up and what did you do to get over your ex?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It was a horrible feeling because for a moment I felt I was empty inside without that person. after the end of that relationship, I started looking for other relationships, and it took a long time to find a good one that suits me. eventually, I realized I was looking for myself... so I decided to be single and rebuilding a new relationship with myself.
    I realized that the failure of that relationship was a perfect opportunity to get back in touch with my feelings, and pay attention to my needs as an individual instead of as a couple.
    I can't give my life more days, but I can give my days more life... that's what I learned from my first breakup... now I'm free.

3|3
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I never felt the usual anger and hatred for my ex. Just disappointed and sad. Especially when you give all your time, dedication, your body and just basically your everything and then they bring up breaking up and then you get pressured into breaking up with them. I failed my maths and English last year because I couldn’t concentrate. I kept crying at school, constantly being sent home be of my mental well-being. I lost so many friends. I went back to my eating disorder and lost a lot of weight which stuffed up so much including my period, my iron levels, my vitamin intake and so on. I felt alone and vulnerable. I felt like I was dying on the inside. You feel numb, tired, I constantly had headaches, feeling nauseous and just completely, utterly heart broken. This person by the way I gave nearly 4 years of my life to and I’m only 18. After our break up he went around telling people that I was crazy and just many other hurtful things. Which only made me feel even more sad and depressed.

1|0
    0|0
    • A year after our break up (I was then 17 and he was 23) and I thought that maybe he had done a bit of growing up on the past year BUT no. We went on some dates, given each other oral and so I thought we were getting somewhere especially since he wanted to try again and work on us. Well the next morning after he told me that, I found out that he had sex with a drunk girl who was also a virgin. Heart broken again I decided to go for therapy (I was abused a lot in the relationship but there was also a lot of love there too so I was confused and hurt)
      I still have to see my ex all the time because he’s friends with my friends and my brothers.

• Show All
    • You’ll feel alone. It’s natural but if you concentrate on being positive and keep telling yourself you’ll be fine, you will be. It takes time but you WILL be okay.

• Thank you so much

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 36

• I was 15, it hurt a lot, so much that I cried for days and felt hurt and lonely for over a year, it was completely emotionally devestating, and it wasn't even a good relationship, it was abusive and controlling, so I kept trying to remind myself of the bad things but I couldn't help but keep thinking of the good things and I missed it more and more.

2|1
    0|0
  • I felt like i was torn in two. Because i had been forced by my parents to break up with her over text suddenly within one night. And it hurt so much to break the heart of the girl who loved me.

Up till now i still miss the feeling of being in a relationship. It took me a whole year to get over her, but till now it still hurts a bit to think about the memories of cuddling, doing stuff for each other, etc.

1|1
    0|0
  • I felt horrible. I did nothing for a long long time. And it all truly snapped when I was moving out and she didn't want to come home and say bye to me. Then, after I had already moved out, she got me to hate her. Truly utterly hate her. So that's how i got over it :)

1|1
    0|0
  • Horrible. I had anxiety and depression for a week or so after breaking up, but after a while, I started to feel relief from it, so it was kind of bittersweet in a way

1|0
    0|0
  • My very first break-up was easy compared to my last one. One myth is break-ups become easier but that is not always reality. I felt like a huge part of me died when my ex asked for a divorce and only now is that part coming back to life but it has been over a year already.

1|0
    0|0
  • I felt as bad as possible. After a few breaks more I find that it wasn't that bad overall. We can get used to anything. What I did, then? - I looked for a next one. Of course. No need to get over something that is behind me. Then, and now.

1|0
    0|0
  • The short answer, I felt like complete shit. I honestly don't know if the way I felt is normal or I'm just that much more sensitive when it comes to that kinds of things.

I didn't do much at all. Time heals all wounds, I guess.

1|0
    0|0
  • Empty! And I realized then I have to fell that void, and be careful what to fell it with.

1|0
    0|0
  • It felt amazing! Did it suck to let go? Yes, but she was too much for me. Too much false accusations so I was ready to end it, I focused more on myself and the people who care about me that's how I got over it 😁

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely horrible (was in middle school) but still she left me for another guy she Sadi she could not help it but she had feelings for him buttt I don’t care she was ugly anyway

1|0
    0|0
  • strange but besides pain and emptyness the most irritating thing was that it felt like
    the sun stopped shining so bright.. i know its crazy.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wanted to die.
    I am still not over her, although love has morphed into hate.

1|0
    0|0
  • Relieved. Nothing I was glad it ended, relationships are hard work I don't need or want hard work in my life, I'm happy resting on my laurels.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well I cried got upset still am but just got to move on I just relaxed slept kept sleeping can I hang out with some friends

1|0
    0|0
  • Shitty because i knew I should have done more while in the relationship but I was young and stupid

1|0
    0|0
  • Horrible and betrayed... It took two months for me to recover...

1|0
    0|0
  • Honestly I just wanted the pain to go away so I tried things I'm not proud of and my best friend literally saved my life and no, I'm not over her yet.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fucking amazing. First girlfriend of 3 months started trying to control me. Cutting that crap loose felt so good.

0|0
    0|0
  • It felt bad, and good at the same time. Its weird tbh.

1|0
    0|0
  • I just dint feel anything.. was totaly numb.. that i thought everythings over.. i wantes to die...

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 13

• I felt like really angry and disappointed. I was dump after a two years relationship just when we started University. Then for a time I missed him... well but not really him, just beign in a relationship but he was the only one I had been with so was the only picture that could be in mi mind. I really missed cuddling with someone and sharing deep thoughts.

I felt really angry because he ended with me through text message when a few seconds ago we were on a videocall. He couldn't wait until we were face to face in our town or just do it face to face on the videocall. He had to put a stupid text message.

But what really disappointed me is that he was like my best friend and one day stopped talking to me and started saying stupid things like he can't message me back because he's in the street and might crash with a street lamp or any senseless thing.

Reflecting about those things and other ways he behaved I thought: he was someone interesting to talk with, but he was many times a total jerk. I thought it was best that way. I don't want to suffer from someone who doesn't appreciate me.

The hardest part is that he was an important friend, and when University started all my friends went to a different city, so I was alone, and he ignoring me made my first months difficult, cause I needed someone there.

I think that him in another city and therefore never see him helped me to stop thinking. Also making new friends, listening to new music, doing new things, reading, meeting new people. The thing is to love yourself and keep living without worries cause you surely will find another person to love.

1|1
    0|0
  • I felt horrible even tho I was the one who broke up, but the decision was very hard. It's extremely hard to leave a relationship you know is not good for you, when you have really strong feelings for the person.
    It took me two years to move on and two more to think about dating again.

2|1
    0|0
  • Well my first breakup was i middle school so it wasn't anything to me because the relationship wasn't anything either. I feel like regardless of if its your 1st or your 5th, if its a breakup, it will all depend on who broke up with who and how well the relationship was. I just got out of a 3 year relationship and it was my 5th breakup, also, this one hurts the most.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was 12, and we couldn't see each other than during music class twice a week.
    My father signed me off that class for no reason so we did 3 months without seeing each other. We texted and talked through the phone a lot though. I broke up with him by text and I moved on pretty quickly
    We're still friends today and laugh about that situation

1|0
    0|0
  • I broke up with him so I felt pretty bad because he cried and didn't understand why. And I didn't really understand why I did it either other than I just wanted to be single.
    I just kept hanging with my friends everyday and focused on school and eventually my feelings for him faded away.
    Till this day, he still tries to have a relationship with me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I felt like shit I felt used I felt stupid he wasn't the best guy really tore me down, after the break up I said what I needed and cut him off I moved on and worked on myself, I built myself up I let a little time for myself to get sad but when that limit was up I said I had to get over it and move on bc if that person loved me and was meant for me he would have stayed with me

1|0
    0|0
  • I felt like the world was ending and against me. I just continued on and found distractions. Hung out with my best friend all the time and laughed a lot. That’s what did it for me xD.

1|0
    0|0
  • I felt broken en couldnt get over it really until I downloaded Tinder and got in touch with other guys really

1|0
    0|0
  • Felt like someone just died. Started dating again.

1|0
    0|0
  • Devastated

1|0
    0|0
  • very tough to recover

0|0
    0|0
  • Well our relationship lasted a week so getting over it was easy lmao. I guess just distancing yourself, and spending time with friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Relieved. I was with him for several years and it was a toxic relationship very on and off. When I finally got the courage to leave i was relieved. But it took me many years to get there.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes