Is it normal to take so long to get over relationships?

I’m extremely passionate and create deep bonds with people. Letting go of relationships or almost relationships always weighs so heavily on me. It plagues my mind till I finally move on. Is this normal?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• The more you were invested, the longer it'll take you to get over someone. That's why most people get over short relationships so easily, they weren't invested enough to actually care about the other person. Some people invest a lot of emotions and trust very quickly making it difficult to move on even in short relationships. Basically, the more you cared about a person, the longer it takes to get over them and the harder it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's tough to move on. Like you I give it all, with the only exception that I immediately turn cold after I realize it doesn't worth the try anymore.

When you learn to love (family, friends, potential SO.., SO) you have to learn to let go. Call it a breakup, a death of a beloved one, etc. Obviously it takes time to stand strong again after living shady moments, the thing is, you only live once, and memories may prevail, the pain may keep their but happiness is abundant and is not in one person. Happiness can be found everywhere, and to be happy is the ultimate truth.

Remember, when you have a romantic relationship you have an agreement to share your happiness with someone else in a very personal level, been so, anything can happen and that agreement can fall apart with only a change of mind from someone in the relation.

I am not saying don't have a romantic relationship, what I am trying to say is that your happiness should be the only thing that concerns you, and a breakup is at last the product of that concern. At the end that's what everyone looks for "happiness", and when is not found in a relationship, a relationship fails.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• You're just a deep person. When you love, you love all the way. Only makes sense that it's harder for you to break those bonds. I understand your kind completely. I admire you.

0|2
    0|0
  • First of, being normal is not equivalent to being good, so you shouldn't be ashamed if something about you isn't normal as long it only affects you.
    Secondly, humans have various personalities and emotions. It's hard to determine what's normal. I personally never got completely over some connections, they just don't affect me anymore as they used to.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 20

• I'm the same way I hurt for ages after a breakup.

You will move on eventually, you'll wake up one day and not even noticed you've moved on until a bit of time has passed and you realize the breakup hasn't even been on your mind anymore.

It takes time though

0|0
    0|0
  • Always... love is a double edged sword, may heal your wound faster, or sink the blade even deeper. The more you get emotionally attached with someone... the harder it is to get over if something goes wrong. So all depending how deeply you bonded with...

0|0
    0|0
  • If you had feelings for the person that you felt were true there's no reason why it wouldn't take a considerable amount of time to get over it. Some people are gifted at being able to move on quickly but it's far from unusual to be stuck on someone

0|0
    0|0
  • Its easier if your somewhat independent and have things you enjoy to occupy your time. But i suppose it could take around three months... Though thats just my estimate. If it takes longer then either you haven't cut them from your life or you need to learn how to live your own

0|0
    0|0
  • They say that it takes half the time of the relationship to be over them. I have noticed that every time a
    relationship ends. I get over that person faster and faster. I’m thinking the next one should only take me a few hours. 😁

0|0
    0|0
  • It can take a long time if you don't find someone new. That is the key to getting over someone otherwise it can months, even years. You never totally get over someone anyway, there will be a small piece of them that will stay with you.

0|0
    0|0
    • You are talking rebound and that does not usually work until you are over the old one. How can you start something new when the old has not attained closure? You cannot use a rebound to do this as it will be very unfair for the new person.

• it does depend on the relationship and how it broke up, as some things can create problems cos of unanswered questions or lack of closure

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it completely depends on how long you have known the person but it also depends on what you consider to be a long time to get over it. Sometimes it can take years

0|0
    0|0
  • You need no more answers:

"it does depend on the relationship and how it broke up, as some things can create problems cos of unanswered questions or lack of closure"

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone has different mind & reactions to their ongoing situations.
    Its fine, i myself am still taking time over my last relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess that it depends on how attached you get. You sound like me. It takes forever for me to actually move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the person and relationship, but this is normal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some take a lot of thoughts others are disposable to each his own

0|0
    0|0
  • its very normal it stays with you for life in the head

0|0
    0|0
  • It takes me years

0|0
    0|0
  • yes some takes longer than other

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the person

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I think that is fine

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I'm the same way

0|0
    0|0
  • Depending on the circumstances it can take awhile.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• Yes!! Sort of feeling that way now and I keep telling myself geez make a decision. It’s emotionally draining.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think so, plus why wouldn't it be? This could be a person who was once very important that you shared your life with. Going from that to basically strangers is tough.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it was a good one, then heck yeah. Its like losing a good friend

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s normal depending on circumstances and what took place with the relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it’s not

0|0
    0|0
  • Especially if you feel deeply in love.

0|0
    0|0
  • it really depends

0|0
    0|0
  • It has been three years now for me 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • The first time I fell in love I suffered depression for about a year and a half afterwards. Admittedly, my parents said it was all in my head which didn't help. And then the way I lost my ex was horrible. I also suffered from nightmares for a few months after the breakup.

So yeah. I'd say it's normal

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes