Why are some people still friendly with their ex?

I just can't understand this at all.

1758

Most Helpful Guys

• No reason not to be friendly with them.

I see it from the opposite side. I don't see why people break off all ties with their ex and act like they never existed. To me that's really strange.

• Well maybe it’s because there was a harsh breakup and feelings were hurt. My last breakup wasn’t the worst thing ever, but feelings were hurt. I didn’t want to be friends with my ex cause it would be weird but I was okay with still being friends on social media and small talk. He was really petty and blocked me before I could ever get a chance to talk to him.

• Well yea, it's understandable if they had a nasty breakup. I just don't see why a couple that breaks up should break off all tie be default.

• If you can't understand it at all, you may don't understand my answer. A relationship can transform. A meaningful romantic relation can become a strong friendship once both realize they have more in common as friends than a couple. Sure, you can be friendly with your ex and your ex may rather maintain distance. It depends on everyone personal view of what should happen after a breakup.

Most Helpful Girls

• I can understand in situations where it never got serious. Like they gave it a try cause they liked each other, but it wasn't romantic. But it could sabotage future relationships as jealousy is natural.

• Not everyone ends relationships in bad terms. Sometimes if the break up is not ugly, but it's more like both of them realize together that it won't work and they need to move on, they can agree to be just friends