"Upset" that my ex and I work great as friends but not as a couple. How can I cope?

My two year relationship ended very recently. We still care about each other very much and didn't necessarily "want" to end things, we just knew it wasn't working (big part of that because we saw some important things differently) even though we really tried to make things work. It hurt but things also instantly felt better between us somehow.

It still hurts, but we are slowly feeling better. However, I've kinda been getting this feeling of what I can best describe as some sort of "upsetment" maybe mixed with slight disappointment and anger relating to the fact that we were and are great friends but that we couldn't make it work in a relationship. I have no hard feelings towards him, just that we get along so well otherwise and it's so "easy" when we're just friends but things still didn't work when we were a couple. I really wanted things to work.

I'm not sure how to deal/cope with this feeling. It happened recently so perhaps it's something that would go away on its own eventually (?) but I don't want it to turn into resentment. Advice is appreciated.

211

Most Helpful Guy

• We broke up. We were great friends, lovers as well. Couples was okish but we just saw each other as friends. Nothing more. I’ll take most of the blame. Mostly my fault.

I think because friends pushed us. I think that what may been down fall. If we was left alone. Then there been great chance. But being push. Let’s just say the glue wasn’t set right.

As for cope. One day at a time. Tears are good. Admitting it for what it is. At least you booth tried. Not many will.

Most Helpful Girl

• It will get better over time. Just acknowledge the situation and accept the the fact that you guys make a great team as friends, and that that's just how it was meant to be.