Breaking up with a friend?

What used to be just friends has turned into a bit more, despite the knowledge I'm leaving the country in 3 months or so. As a result, the relationship has no future so want to stop it before it gets too deep, but don't want to damage the friendship either. Suggestions?

21

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been through this too, where you need to break up with someone who was a friend before the relationship and you don't want to damage the friendship. My advice would be to basically just tell her the truth. Just say what you said up there, just make it a little gentler. Tell her that you don't want to damage the freindship andyou want to stay friends with her after this. And assure her that it doesn't have anything to do with her, you just don't want to hurt either of you in the future. Don't make up any reasons why you have to break up with her, just tell her the truth. It seems to me that there isn't much reason for her to be angry or upset about this, but breakups are a tricky thing.

What Girls Said 1

• That one is tough. I had a boyfriend and we were friends first. I was going to Israel for awhile so I ended it. We continued to stay friends. I mean he was very upset, but if the friendship means anything to him, Together you can both make it work. Its definitely possible.

What Guys Said 1

• Trust me dude, long distance relationship doesn't work at all. And you're talking about being friends? Okay let me tell you another thing, suppose you guys are friends after you moved to a new place but then, you saw her talking to some other guys. Then what would you go through? Won't you feel bad? Trust me dude, the term called 'BREAK' in the relationship thing is really dangerous. Even if you guys are friends and whenever you'll come to see her, a different type of feeling would come to you and you might wanna hug her then kiss her and then everything would start all over again. So, think before you make any decisions.

p.s. If you break up with the person you love, you would never be friends with her/him. Either you stay in a relationship with her or you have to go far away from her contact range.