Guys, have you ever regretted breaking up with a good woman?

My boyfriend (who has severe depression and anxiety) broke up with me because he was too stressed and overwhelmed with other things in his life.

I’ve been nothing but a great girlfriend to him and he’s mentioned that he’s never met anyone like me. He said he wants to get back together, but I’m not sure when that will be.

314

Most Helpful Guys

• Well, 1, if she was that good a woman, he wouldn't leave just to fix "other things in his life", she would be part of that life.
    2. EVERY fucking woman on earth considers herself "good"... the reality... maybe a good 15% are.

Cuz MOST women, dont even bother knowing the 3 male needs, try to treat us like they would treat a fellow female, like we care about all that sentimental emotional crap... we dont. we fucking dont.
    So when i hear "good" woman, or "good" man... i always ask people to define... because one persons good, could possibly be another person's bad.
    Example, some guys love virgins sexually.. love em, think they are good and awesome. Im not a big fan of virgins sexually, they are inexperienced and stubborn. Yes. i know im generalizing.

I HAVE broken... well.. cheated on a woman i knew was "good"... yea if a guy thinks you are "good" and splits, he will regret it. (notice how i said if he THINKS, not if he TELLS you) I know i did. I was too young, i had so much stuff i hadn't experience. I panicked.

• I have never regretted breaking up with someone because I don't break up until I've tried hard to make it work and am confident that it's never going to. Once I've reached that conclusion, there's no reason for me to want to go back.

I don't understand why he would break up with you because he's too stressed and overwhelmed. It seems to me that times like that would be when he would need you most (assuming that you are supportive and not making things worse and based on what you said it seems that you would be supportive).

My opinion is that you should think really hard about whether you want to get back together if he decides he wants to. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life never knowing when he's going to withdraw from you or break up again because of something that's going on in his life that you had no part in?

I can tell you from experience that loving someone with mental health issues that withdraws from you or attacks you when they get under stress is a very difficult thing to do. Eventually it wears you down and it's hard to be happy if your partner is unwilling or unable to be good and consistent partner for you.

Is he getting treatment for his issues? My ex refused to which was really frustrating because it felt like she wasn't willing to put any effort into solving the problem and was just expecting me to live with the erratic behavior.

• He has medication but he doesn’t believe in taking it. A lot of the people in his family have become addicted to pills and he doesn’t want that for his life. I’ve tried to encourage him though and have always stood by his side. It does hurt that he pushes me away, it hurts his mom too because he does it to both of us.

• I understand the concern about taking pills, but his condition is causing harm to himself and you and your relationship and apparently to others in his family also so the status quo is not a good option.

I feel for you being in the position you're in. I know you care about him, as I did for my ex, but if he's not going to treat his conditions then my guess is that you'll find yourself being unhappy and frustrated and not being able to help him anyway since he won't try to help himself and you'll start wondering why you should be suffering when it's not really helping him.

I can understand whatever you decide to do, but I do think it would be good for you to think seriously about your options and the effects of each and then make what you believe to be the best choice.

Most Helpful Girl

• My ex broke up with me because both of my parents are male anr he grew up learning that its wrong and marriage should be only male and female