Why is calling someone fat or obese so wrong when skinny or anorexic is acceptable?

This bugs me all the time. I'm thin and bony. I don't want to be this way but I can't seem to gain any weight. It hurts so badly when people make comments on my ribs showing or protruding hip bones. I don't see why it's OK for people to call me anorexically skinny if it's wrong to call them fat. Can someone please explain this to me?

58

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it should be OK to call people how you see them and It's up to you to take it with a grain of salt or not. If you are skinny because of genetics and there is nothing you can do, and you eat healthy, just smile and be glad that you have a figure a lot of women would kill for

What Guys Said 7

• It's easier to gain fat than loose it. Don't worry once you're in your mid to a

Late teens you'll start putting on weight. In the meantime just tell your "friends" that you don't like them mentioning it.

• Gaining weight may seem easy but it's not and I'm almost 18 so that weight you said I should've started putting on by now is non-existent.

• Chances are you could have a condition such as a overacting hyperthyroid (it produces a comound that burns your fat) if this is so then you need medicine to counteract it. If this isn't the case then if you want to get weight then you could try products like protein shakes with added weightgainer.

• If these are your friends than I suggest you make it clear that it hurts your feelings.

• Call them a **** if they call you anorexic. Or tell them your bulemic and that your awfully sorry but you had to borrow their toothbrush, hahahaha.

Nothings wrong or acceptable, there's just wankers and not-wankers. Treat 'em accordingly and it'll come back on ya. ^^

• Neither are acceptable to call another person.

• probably because in most of the cases people woulddo anything to lose weight and be "skinny"

but they would not try to gain weight and become "fat"

• I would actually love to gain some weight. Many other people would too.

• Yeah I know what you mean. if you call someone fat they're like "oh mai god I am so offended how could you say that.". even if you're saying the truth. Why do they get offended if it's true?

• shutup skeletor

What Girls Said 5

• I have a couple of theories:

The media is already telling overweight people they don't look good. So these people have low self esteem & others try to make them feel better. They do this by saying that skinny girls are too skinny.

Many people deal with the issue of being overweight. Because more people are overweight than underweight, it is figured being overweight is more acceptable, the majority wins.

Some think skinny people are secure so they can handle being insulted. The same way people insult pretty people, thinking those people are secure. The truth is, those people are just as insecure as anyone else, but no one realizes it.

People don't understand the hardship that comes with being anorexic. As far as people are concerned, anorexics did it to themselves & if they wanted to get better, they could just choose to eat some fast food. Which, is completely wrong by the way...

That's all I have for now...

• I don't know why some people can be such douchebags... Tell them to go eat another Twinkie

• No matter how skinny a person is they are still accepted in society,but if a person is overweight/obese,then they aren't accepted.

• Obese people have no self-control and anorexics have too much control. Of course there are exceptions -- medical reasons for being overweight and just a naturally slender frame or fast metabolism for skinny people.

I don't think it's right to call anyone fat/obese/skinny/anorexic. Everyone should strive to be called healthy.

• Look at it this way --

Being skinny is a good thing which is why people think it's OK to say it. But being fat/obese is so horrible that everyone is too scared to mention it