Given the amount of divorces in recent times, has marriage lost its way?

Marriage seems to be more off an agreement you can leave any time you like, so should we change the vows to reflect this or stay with the status quo?
  • It's still relevant..
  • Change is needed to reflect modern times..
  • Other...
    Vote C

113

Most Helpful Guys

• As women begin to start getting screwed over in court as they become the high earners, you bet bet divorce will drop but by then I think marriage will almost be extinct.

"Marriage seems to be more off an agreement you can leave any time you like" I see an institution that has turned into a scam orchestrated by a large industry namely the attorneys, mediators CPAs, custody evaluators, guardian ad litems, psychologists, county sheriff, judges, court clerks, bails bond, and etc. The leaders of the scam are the media and all indoctrinators of the anti-family mantra whereby they plant the seed that is a ticking time-bomb or the Manchurian candidate that assimilates a woman that you are bamboozled into entrusting your life. These same indoctrinators sell the big wedding thrill as the required catalyst to set the fraud in motion. I envision an industry working all angles to extract the maximum dollars and transference of personal wealth. An analogy might be buying a fifth of booze; you are taxed to shyt when you buy it, and fined/incarcerated to shyt when you drink it, but still a lot cheaper. Those are my first “thoughts about marriage”. "Change is needed to reflect modern times..".. outlaw it.

• Marriage has not lost its way. People have lost their way. You get a new cell phone every two years. If the toaster stops working, you just stop as Walmart on the way home and buy a new one. TV stopped working? Go to Best Buy and get a newer and bigger one.

Marriage isn't working as well as when you first got married? You've got two choices: honor your commitment, stay, and work on the problems, OR hire me (divorce lawyer,) move out of the house and into an apartment, and start banging the cute little blonde receptionist. Too many people - my generation, your generation, and the younger generation - choose option B.

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe in marriage but you both have to work hard and overcome many hurdles to make it work. I have no qualms if people feel it's not for them though.

What Guys Said 11

• The problem isn't with marriage, the problem is with current attitudes. People see others as replacable, they think they can just cost through life with no responsibility so the second things get hard they just abandon the relationship. Its a weakness in the current generation of people not the institution of marriage (which has survived thousands of years (and is one of the pillars of society)).

• I don't believe marriage changed. The values and morals in people have. Marriage is something sacred and pure. Nothing needs to change with that. People need to change or at least need to understand the meaning of marriage.

• Marriage is the backbone of society. If you date for two years before and cover children or no children and other issues, it can work. You can't be afraid of asking the tough questions to see where you both are.

• People forgot what marriage is , so when they make the vow, they have no idea what it takes to make a marriage work. It only takes one person in the marriage to kill it.

• name one upside of marriage for men in the current legal and cultural environment? Marrying a westernized women is absolutely INSANE. Just not all men have awakened yet

• There is no longer any benefits for a man to be married and marriage vows are meaningless.

• It’s not relevant because there aren’t any benefits.

• Just don't bother making vows to begin with.

• I don't think I'd hunk marriage has lost its way, I think it's more that people maybe don't think it through in quite the way they should. I know a few people who've hot married simply because it felt the right thing to do and a logical next step. They didn't look at whether they would maybe be better off just leaving things as they were as they maybe aren't as close as they once were. It's almost as if marriage would fix it rather than looking at as about love and commitment.

• No I belive getting married should be punished by carpet bombing

• Marriage is a scam at this point is absolutely no reason for anyone to get married.

• Government marriage*
      There I fixed that for you.

• That's the only kind of marriage there is. The worst part is depending on the state you live in just living with someone more than a year can make you married to them in the eyes of the government.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!