If an engagement is called off, should the woman return the engagement ring?

Cardi B and her husband were apparently going to separate, and people were arguing whether or not she should return the ring. It was a $500k ring.
Depending on what state your in, many laws consider it a gift and your property therefore it's completely up to the woman whether she'll return or keep it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to keep it, I'm the type of person if you're out of my life, I mean get the fuck out. I'm deleting everything and burning, selling or returning the rest. I don't really like jewelry, but for example in Cardi's case, apparently he cheated. So I wouldn't want him to have it either because the engagement was cut off because of his wrongdoing. I'd rather sell it and donate the funds (after taking a bit to buy me ice cream for my upcoming emotional distress, not gonna lie).

I think if the woman is the reason that the wedding is called off, like by her cheating, then yes she should be required to return the ring.

TLDR: Should a woman be required to return an engagement ring? Does it depend on who's fault the wedding is being cancelled for?
  • She should always return it
  • She should only return it if she broke the engagement (e. g. by cheating)
  • She should never return it
    Vote C
I don't care about what the law is now. I care about y'alls opinions. Otherwise, I'd have googled it. Stop commenting what's the law in everywhere except Montana or whatever, tell me what YOU think.

It'd be like me asking your thoughts on gay marriage, the law says it's ok but I'd like to know how Y'ALL feel. Same concept here peoples.

Thanks.

1433

Most Helpful Girl

• An engagement ring is a gift in promise of marriage. If the marriage goes through the promise is fulfilled and it’s hers. If it doesn’t then it should be returned.
    However, I do kind of feel there is a grey area here if the promise is broken on his end through cheating... that’s a choice and is directly contradicting the promise that ring was making.
    A few years ago my sister in law was engaged after dating this guy for 3 years. He then decided he wanted to move to a rural town for a job opportunity so she went with him... quit her job, sold her car to put in for a house deposit in this town, left her family and friends and within 3 months of being there she found out he’d been cheating on her for their entire relationship. She came out of that relationship $15k in debt so she kept the ring and in her situation I get that

• I like you're take. That grey zone needs attention.

• Well first most people dont care enough to take your stance seriously and the focus on the hype around the question. They dont like talking about grey zones and couldnt be any more further disinterested. Like, how many people really go through these events on this App.

But you better defined the case in your original post. The latter questions seem to only create more ambiguity in favour of the opposite answer. Like the punishment should fit the crime and the latter questions are just to general to be of any distinct use.

• Thanks for MHO 😊