How did your separation/divorce affect you?

I’m recently separated from my husband (was also diagnosed with cancer the same week I moved out!!). But it got me thinking, how did your separation affect you - both short term (1-6-12 month) and longer term.

Interested in hearing from both men and women 🙂

19

Most Helpful Guy

• What a lot of people don't understand is; divorce isn't the disease. It's the cure for the disease. Of course it's sad when something doesn't work out, but what's much more sad to me.. is when people DON'T opt for the cure, and just choose to stay miserable. Yeah, that's a great idea.
    So if you have hopes of getting back together, then the separation is a good thing. But if you're DONE, then the separation is just postponing the inevitable. I hated the separation, but I loved the divorce. I felt like a weight had been lifted off of me. I'm sure I'll get a 100 downvotes,, but I don't give two shits about that. You didn't ask the question because you wanted bullshit answers, so I gave it to you straight. (sorry to hear about his cancer)

• No it’s my cancer, not his.

Yea I’m feeling ok about it all, but I have bad days too. I don’t know if I’ll feel any different once I’m divorced - I guess even though we’re separated right now, I’m his wife still. But once the divorce goes through then that’s it

• It's hard to understand what you're going through, unless we know who's idea the divorce was.
      That changes the whole thing.

• It was me really, I wanted the divorce. But turned out he did too. But I didn’t want the cancer - cancer sucks

Most Helpful Girl

• Well to be perfectly honest. I'm doing great. Its been about 3 months. I feel better. Have started getting back to doing things I love. There are still moments that it seems weird or I wonder about if things had been different. All in all I am confident that it was the right choice and I'm looking forward to the future