Why is it in the movies...people always forgive their partner for cheating on them?

i mean I know its just a movie, but like...how can this be? is this what is expected of people ideally? to live love and forget? call me vengeful but...i couldn't forgive my partner for cheating on me. I mean, maybe if it was just a kiss, but even then id have to dissect it and know ALL the details...but I could definitely not forgive a girl if it were more than that. sure people can ask...well I guess you didn't really love her. why do people turn it around? like...im not the cheater here...

anyway...my question is...has anybody been cheated on and forgiven their partner completely 100%? and lived happily ever after? I don't believe its possible...but perhaps it is?

41

Most Helpful Guy

• Not a direct answer to your question, but when it comes to movies, forgiving infidelity can represent a desire to be forgiven, not a desire to forgive. It's a variation of the Mary Sue complex, the creator paints his own ideals into the plot and morals of the movie.

Another example is how the bad guys never survive a movie, but at the end they do something that justifies the hero killing them, like drawing a gun or taking a hostage. In this case, though, it probably represents the appeal of justifiably killing your enemies, and not the desire to take a hostage if you're threatened with prison :P

To answer your question, though, I haven't been cheated on that I know of, but I tolerate no betrayal on my own part, and in return I have a zero toleration policy on being betrayed as well. Infidelity is unforgivable to me.

• agreed. and actually, what you said in your 1st paragraph is something I've thought in the back of my mind, but its pretty cool to know its already been thought of and is an actual "complex". but it makes perfect sense,probably at one point in the the screenplay writer committed adultery, and tried to paint the picture that its moral to to forgive...but f*** that...like you said...infidelity is the unforgivable regardless of circumstance. if not one posts a better answer you'll get best answer lol

• Exactly. That's also why every movie that breaks the mold is hailed by critics, because they don't just pander to popular fantasies, but actually tell a good story. Incidentally, the Mary Sue trope can be read about in full here: link

• lol wow that's a lot for me to read right now hahah. but thanks! and yes I understand why it'd be disliked by critics, because its disheartening to watch the protagonist struggle throughout the film and come out empty handed...so when he's rewarded, it leaves us with a feeling of fulfillment :)

What Girls Said 4

• They do?

• people forgive cheaters more often in real life than you think

• Well I believe in order to move forward you must forgive in order to live your life. The guy I have spent the last 6 months with just took a vacation and came home to tell me he cheated. He was honest as soon as he saw me because he didn't want to lie to me. I can forgive him I'm not bitter. However forgiving someone doesn't mean you have to stay with them. I will continue to be friends with him but I will never be with him again.

• right that I can understand for sure...and in that sense...you are very correct :)

• My boyfriend cheated on me and he was honest so I forgave him and it made us closer together because we could trust each other more

• cheated on you how? like...he slept with another girl? and I agree honesty is a great virture but so is loyalty, and the lack there of is a deal breaker for me. and no offense but it seems a little counter productive that it took him cheating on you for you to trust him more...as a result.

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!