Creating music illegal?

OK so there are many producers,DJ's,and just basic people with computers that sample music and do mash-ups. but the law has started cracking down more and more on these people, and people are getting sued for sampling and mash-ups, like Danger Mouse when he came out with the gray album, in which he took Jay-z's acapellas from his black album and mashed them with the instrumentals of the Beatles white album (which came out dope btw) and then was sued by capitol records for copyright infringement. and then you have biz marke who was sued by the monkeys I believe, and the list goes on.. what do you think about this do you think its fair to restrict music in this way? why?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• biz markie was sued by gilbert o'sullivan, it completely changed the game on sampling as well. de la soul was sued by the turtles for a sample on their first record. it's why you don't see much sample based production in hip hop now (which sucks), who wants to pay the prices that some people have for their material. I never heard that jay-z grey album but have you heard the wu-tang clan vs. the beatles record that came out last year, that was some hot sh*t.

• haha yea that's right I wasn't quite sure about biz markies law suit.. its danger mouses grey album, with jay-zs black album and the beatles white album, yea it does suck that sampling isn't what it use to but you can still find gems like moka onlys' carps, or a lot of slugs early sh*t like when he was in dynospectrum,they had stuff like herbie hancock and moody blues.. but I think the best right now is typical cats for sure (super cool jazz and big band sampling)

• yea I feel you, I love hank shoklees whole perspective on music and sound, its so fluent

What Guys Said 2

• well if you've heard of girl talk, he does a lot of those mash ups you so called speak of but he provides it free as in, he doesn't make a penny off it and I think that's cool. but when you literally start just sampling left in right, then you're nothing more then an audio collage artist, akin to me cutting my davinci and picasso, slapping them together on a canvas and calling it my own...

• Thats stupid as hell. Its just 'cos all these labels have no money left.

What Girls Said 2

• Sometimes I think record companies are retarded. Their music's getting out to a wider audience, and their first instinct is to sue the f*** out of whoever's doing it. Coooool.

It's not like having your music being sampled would result in less sales, either. It's just plain greed that makes them do sh*t like this.

I really tend to like mashups and sampling too. The Grey Album was good, btw.

• Yeh. While they focus on creative restrictions, they should also confiscate all reworks and paintings inspired by other artists.