The best way to approach an ex?

Not necessarily to start dating again, but to have some sort of friendship.

How long would you wait before initiating contact?

How would you go about it?

Looking for opinions on both sides :-).

Thanks for the feedback :-). I haven't decided whether or not to go for it since we're no contact, but I definitely like the encouragement :-).

21

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a successful friendship with my first boyfriend that is going on 9 years. We dated for 5. We were friends before that, so we had something to go back to which I think is an important factor. We did not contact each other for two weeks after we broke up (at my request). It can work! I will not lie it was hard work, for the first year it was difficult, and I wasn't interested in anyone else for that time even though it was a mutual break-up. I had to set boundaries, but it's true that time heals. It's best to avoid the tempting subject of talking/quizzing each other about 'other guys/girls' until one of you is actually in another relationship. You don't need details, but you need to accept this to move on. The jealousy was bad when he got together with someone else first, and I'm not a jealous person. Over the years, we have both had other relationships and we don't see each other much these days as life goes, but I'm sure we'll always remain friends. I actually get along really well with his current girlfriend! However saying that, I have had other relationships since with people I knew I could not and did not want to remain friends with. Obviously both of you have to agree on what you want! But for me, in that instance, it was worth it in the end. I lost the 'boy' not the 'friend'. Not having him in my life seemed like a more difficult option. I do believe that you need to be me more definite about what your intentions are though first, and find out first if his are the same.

What Guys Said 1

• just ask him/her out and share some moments. A good conversation is always a good way to be friends. Make sure that you guys meet in person.

Good Luck and take care

What Girls Said 1

• ive been in this same position before, It is going to take a little bit to get comfortable around each other again(at least for me it did). what I would do is just ask how they are doing, and get to know them again. I might me awkward at first but gradually it will be normal again. I waited about 2 or 3 months. and its even better if you all have the same friends, then its much easier to start talking to them again!

hope I helped! answer mine if you can!