Do you believe you can stay friends with a ex?

Do you believe you can stay friends with a previous partner? If so explain why you believe you can or can't.
I believe you can if it didn't end or having any toxic issues such as cheating or any form of abuse. If you simply ended it because feelings faded or something else, but still have a friendly vibe, I don't see why not.
Maybe some of you believe you can't because there will always be some type of feeling involved.
But what defines friendship when it comes to exes? Actually still talking and meeting up like any other friends you have? Hanging out once a year if that? Or is the ''lets be friends'' just a way of just saying ''you can come for help if ever needed because I have love for you but we will not be talking or hanging out?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Depends
    Vote C

1228

Most Helpful Girl

• Like you said, it really depends. My last relationship ended in cheating, and him leaving me for her (I didn't find out there was another girl involved til after we broke up). I just assumed he was breaking it off because we were leading dif lives at that point. When I came back home we hung out kinda like normal (not as frequent nor was there romance), but we were best friends in our relationship so it surprised me that even though he hurt me, that rapport was still there and it was still so easy to click with him. It felt good to be friends because it felt normal and familiar. But, it wasn't healthy. And when I put the pieces together that he cheated on me, I became very upset and blocked him on everything, and I make efforts to avoid him irl. Now seeing him and even thinking of him repulses me. I couldn't ever be his friend again, even though we clicked so well, he still hurt me so I couldn't do it.

• That's such a long post, wow.
      My bottom line is you can only be truly friends if it was a mutual breakup. In any other case, the "hurter" is fine being friends but the "hurtee" will still be hurting and wishing for more. Not to mention the friendship will hinder the process of moving on.

Most Helpful Guy

• I suppose "can" is doable. I could stay friends... I just don't want to. Once we break up I'd rather just move on and not really interact with that person. Maybe an occasional "hi, how have you been" if I run into them but I won't be trying to contact them anymore and don't really want them trying to contact me regularly. Dating is a special/unique kind of relationship and once it is over I no longer need contact with that person. I hang out with my guy friends and I date new ladies I don't really need or want to be "pals" with an ex girlfriend.