Is it okay to lie about the reason you want to break up?

If you really care about someone, just not in a romantic way anymore but you are trying really hard not to hurt them, is it okay to lie about why you need to break up with them?

For Example: "I really just need time to figure myself out.." rather than "I just don't love you the same way anymore.."

would you rather have the truth? think about it..

thanks guys =) I did tell him the truth and we're still really good friends now.

36

Most Helpful Guy

• Truth is always best... it might be hurtful...but if you lie, it'll bite you back. Suppose you do say "I just need time" ... what'll you think happens in the future when he finds you dating another guy? At least with the truth... the only thing that can offend him... is... well... the truth,lol. But with a lie, and if he finds out one way or another... you are then "a liar," you are then someone who "doesn't care about feelings," and will have hurt his feelings by both making him feel untrusted and not worth your sincerity to be straight forward with him. Now I'm not putting those in "quotes" because that's what I'm saying, but because that's what he may say... and you don't want that floating in the air either if he tells people. Telling the truth won't be easy, and it may lead to an argument, or it may not and things might work between you... but at least he can't accuse you of lying or not being straight forward with him. I think you can find a way to be truthful, but use tact. You just "don't feel like you ("I") did when you met. You've always seen him as a strong friend...but it just seems to have stopped there." Or something like that.

What Guys Said 5

• most guys need the truth so they can figure out where things went wrong, I can read between the lines so the only thing that will be different is how much respect I have to the girl treating me as an adult

• I agree with everyone else here. You should tell him the truth. We don't get subtle hints that well, unless you beat us over the head with a hammer and then we'd probably say what's wrong honey? Give him the truth, it'll be worse if you don't because he'll just hang on and wait

• I would rather have the truth because honestly every guy knows there are more than one reason that causes a break-up. Although the truth does hurt, a person can heal if it is painful...it's nature.

• simply put. if girls don't want guys to lie, why should u? don't be a hypocrite.

btw glad it went well. although I see you still have "dating" as your status which makes me wonder if it actually did happen

• I know sure as f*** that I didn't like being lied to when told by a girl the real reason she didn't want to see me. [It was because I looked ugly] and I had to hear this from her best friend instead of her. Don't be like that bch. I hope her shallow ass gets hit in the face with a sledge hammer and I pray to god she has a painful menopause. that ****.

What Girls Said 3

• Trust me the truth is the best. It might hurt more at first but it is the best thing to do in the long run. The person deserves to know the real reason you don't want to be with them anymore otherwise they may never be able to properly get over it.

• I'd always want the truth, but with my ex I felt it never was the truth. I am always honest if I break up with someone.

• Well I’ll rather tell the truth... what's the point in lying if you decided to break him up. It’s just because you don’t want him to get hurt? When you want to break up with him, you totally hurt him so tell the truth.