If your s/o breaks up with you/asks for divorce during a fight, would you take it seriously or let it go at the heat of the moment? Why?

• We're done!
    Vote A
  • Let us both calm down and talk about what they said... Maybe they don't mean it.
    Vote B
  • Let us both calm down and talk about what they said and maybe they do mean it...
    Vote C
  • I am moving out and never coming back
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that's one thing that shouldn't be said in a fight, unless you're %100 serious. Plus things wouldn't be the same afterwards because those words will echo in your head and make you wonder.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• The divorce rate is way over 50% because it doesn't mean as much as it once did so I can totally see this happening over and over again. I myself would hope after we both calmed down we could work it out but when you throw out DIVORCE every time you fight it's kind of hard to see a future.

3|2
    0|0
  • They might actually mean that. You HAVE TO get on top of that and address whatever issues that you guys have. Wait for things to calm down the next day to sit down and talk about it.

What you have to do is treat this like she really means it. Even if she denies that she means it, make it clear to her that what she said is very hurtful and you take what she said very seriously. Make sure you tell her you take what she says very seriously because you care a lot about her.

Another thing you should do is tell her how much you love her and how much you want to try to make the relationship work. Even if she denies it... women lie all the time about this kind of shit. She might even be actively be wondering what it is like to be single or with another better guy. So you have to tell her that you are going to work to change and respect her.

The last step? Actually change... show her FOR REAL that you are doing everything to be the guy she fell in love with. That doesn't mean you buy her a necklace.. it means you surprise her with a trip to the beach or some new event that may not cost as much but gives quality time together. It doesn't mean you keep telling her that you love her... it means you kiss her when you leave for work, cook breakfast or dinner for her, wash dishes, do laundry, take out trash...

This is huge man. If someone ever utters the word divorce... your relationship is in survival mode. Never yell at her. Listen to her. Treat it like a new courtship. Talk and Talk and listen and listen and learn and learn about her hopes, dreams, wants.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd calm down, but then I would hammer home exactly why that was stupid and if that's what they want then we are done, if its not what she wants then she will never EVER say it again, or we will be done. People do stupid things when angry, but their are lines you don't cross, cross them a second time and that simply won't be tolerated.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the fight somewhat and if it was serious enough to warrant that. I’d definitely be ready to leave at that point though as she either wanted to break up or is psycho enough to threaten that without meaning it. Either way it’s a dealbreaker.

1|1
    0|0
  • I kind of want to say I'd just leave because I'd never tolerate that kind of threat being used against me by the person closest to me, and it clearly shows that we don't feel the same way about each other... But I'd probably make excuses to stay and work on the relationship to try and fix it instead. Because I hate losing people.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd probably let it go, but I'd never forget it. Then it'd always be in the back of my mind. Then if I got a good chance with a sexy woman I'd be gone at the nearest opportunity. My choice this time, when I wanted to (not their's)

1|0
    0|0
  • If they threaten you with it, it means they're already considering it.

Why live with a sword of Damocles hanging over your head? Better to end it with them right then and there, otherwise you're just going to have to walk on eggshells waiting for them to decide to leave.

SCREW that. Nobody gets to be THAT manipulative, not to me anyway. If you fucking threaten me, first thing I'll do is double down. Automatic.

1|0
    0|0
  • People tend to say hurtful shit when it comes to arguing , its best to just walk away and let things settle then calmly speak to them again without raising a tone of Anger and just ask them of they really meant what they said about divorce , if they say Yes then you know It's time to make the arrangements to end it , tell them to go get the papers , we can't force someone to love us all we can do is guide them , we can only give what we receive

2|0
    0|0
  • Depends, if I'm not to happy with the relationship myself I'd follow the lead so this way my hands are clean, and if I do like the relationship I'd ignore it at first, but I'm done with crazy/emotionally unstable girls so I don't think this will be the case.

1|0
    0|0
  • People don't "say things they don't mean" because they're drunk or angry. They mean what they say. Anger and intoxicants just remove the barriers from them saying what they are thinking.

I'd send her ass down the road. We're done.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would take it very seriously. Women can be very sneaky when it comes to filing for divorce. You can think everything is OK and then the next thing you know you will have the divorce papers thrown at you. It happened to me and it has happen to many other men I have known.

1|0
    0|0
  • I won't say anything just let them calm down. I'd go and do something that keeps me busy.

Then after some time, I'd try to pay more attention to them, by being extra romantic etc and see if they still hold some resentment towards me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I usually mean what I say in a fight, but my husband can get pretty nasty when he gets all riled up - if he says something like that, it still hurts, but probably nothing a good discussion wouldn't help, my advice would be to calm down and discuss later.

1|0
    0|0
  • Emotional spats are not my forte... so I would take their words seriously and reduce my emotional involvement. But... if they're being highly emotional, I won't take them all that seriously.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would take it seriously. Things that are said in the heat of the moment are often thought in depth beforehand. I wouldn't just give up on the relationship, but I would definitely have to take it very seriously.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would have us both calm down and talk it out instead of doing anything rash. There's no reason to rush to a decision that is based on one situation alone, especially if that situation is ridiculous to argue/fight about to begin with.

1|0
    0|0
  • Many people say and do things they regret in the heat of an argument. Let things cool down, resolve the issue that gave rise to such anger. Then discuss where you go forward from there.

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s just because of the fight.

No one should ever be dumb enough to make decisions while angry.

1|0
    0|0
  • Ask him if he meant it and if he did then get a divorce if you two are heated wait to calm down maybe a day after and ask if he meant it

1|0
    0|0
  • I would probably be so pissed that I would be the one breaking up lmao

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd take her seriously, but there is a possibility of reconciliation

1|0
    0|0
  • I have told that many times to my hubby for Fun. 😂. If he asks for break up il break him up.

1|0
    0|0
  • If they are even thinking about the door, they have their reasons. So follow your heart and walk away

1|0
    0|0
  • Let it cool down and then revisit. However, if that comes out, she has probably been thinking about it for a while

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd let things cool down and see where we stand after.

1|0
    0|0
  • Everyone has to take responsible for what they say and do, so if I had a girlfriend say she wanted to breakup during an argument. She would in essence be telling me she's unable manage her emotions. So, I'd be extremely weary about continuing a relationship.

Same goes for if I had a girlfriend who out of a moment of excitement asked to marry me, only to turn around and say she was joking or that she didn't mean it. Again, that is NOT the type of person I want to spend my life with. If you say something, MEAN IT! I'm tired of people saying one thing and meaning something else.

1|0
    0|0
  • They really must not care that much about the other person if they shout about divorce because of an argument lmao

1|0
    0|0
  • Let us both calm down and talk about what they said and maybe they don't mean it...

1|0
    0|0
  • That signifies an inability to communicate effectively, which to me is a deal breaker.

1|0
    0|0
  • Asked for divorce and a tracker device. Need to start exploring your options

1|0
    0|0
  • When the emotions are that strong most people's guard is down and they do let things slip

1|0
    0|0
  • If it comes out in an argument, then it's been on her mind, I'm done

1|0
    0|0
  • They either mean what they say or they don't lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • Its a B AND C answer

1|0
    0|0
  • Its emotional abuse. Bye bye.

1|0
    0|0
  • Heat of the moment

1|0
    0|0
  • We're done.