Did I deserve to be cheated on?

I dated my male best friend of several years. Throughout our friendship he would downplay his girls like they were the one who were bad. He used to cheat and have casual relations with girls.

But with me he was always like a protective brother and would always take care of me and be super respectful.
I come from a pretty respectable family and am going for law school next year while he is still in undergrad and 5 years older than me. His family is a mess.

His past always got bought up a lot. He told me he had changed and was more mature now that he is with me. And that I am the one he was always looking for. But still past kept getting bought up. And towards the end he became controlling with the male friends I had while he had female friends.
He left after a big fight and a day later was dating the girl who he told me was just a friend.

Did I deserve this even though I knew what he was like first hand?

12