Is it normal to be ashamed and embarrassed about an ex?

After I dumped my ex I was very disgusted by the thought of how much I lowered my standards, and that reflected on him. Every little thing about him just disgusts me, it is so annoying it is hard for me to let go. If any of my good friends (that haven't met him) see him, I'd be so ashamed that I ever saw anything in him.

Updates:
4d
Reading all of the comments helped me reflect more on myself, including the negative ones (like calling me an obsessive bitch). I certainly didn't want anyone to get into arguments, I'm sorry if anyone has been offended here. Now regarding my original question: It does sound rather negative, and I do see my fault. I think my question should've been: How do I let go from these irritations?

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• It's not normal at all because you want to leave on good terms. But if you're not happy with the way the relationship ended, and the type of person you're with, then you need to learn from those choices and not make them again. You need to avoid such people, and create boundary so you won't keep attracting and getting yourself involved with the same type of person. So if you met him as a stranger, then you shouldn't be dating strangers. That's one lesson you need to learn from.

1|0
    0|0
  • yep perfectly normal. We dump people for a reason and move on meaning weve changed and no longer are the person who wanted to be with them

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• You're inventing shit in your head. Time to move on.
    Remember, YOU picked him. And you had the sense to dump him. Consider you dodged a huge bullet. Let go, move on with your life. That relationship does not define who or what you are.

1|1
    0|0
    • 5d

Can u please explain what exactly am I making up in my head? :)

• 4d

Every sentence you wrote in your question is something YOU made up in YOUR head. It's all just FEELINGS. So yeah, we get it, but consider that they are just that - feelings. Doesn't make them real to anyone but you.

• 4d

thanks for your comment, it has helped me reflect.

• I think it's totally normal, be ashamed, and let that shame keep you from making the same mistake again

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I know what you mean. I have that feeling about my ex. How could my standards fall so low that I actually had a relationship with that?
    That feeling fades away with time.

2|0
    0|0
  • What kind of guy was he? What about him makes you feel that way?

1|0
    0|0
    • 5d

He's just a basic guy who I should've never kissed. The little things irritate me: His accent his smell his presence

• 4d

@Asker - what on earth was wrong with his 'accent' ?

• People you've dated, sure. But not actual relationships. If I'm embarrassed to be seen with them, there won't be more dates to where I could accidentally get drawn into a relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think that's normal to an extent. Just don't let the weirdness from your time with him affect you now...

1|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes. You wonder what did I ever see in him...

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. That's why they are the EX. Thank you, Next

2|0
    0|0
  • Nope. You're obsessive. Get therapy.

0|0
    0|1
    • 4d

why is it not normal? It sounds completely normal to me

• Show All
    • 4d

Go ahead and read my comments around this site and call me a leftist you fucking twat, you could not be more wrong

• 4d

Thanks for your suspicion, but I avoid being near his presence. I am confused about why I would want to contact his family or girlfriend if I try to avoid him as much as possible...
      I've mentioned that I am ashamed of it, so logically I wouldn't want to make it obvious to everyone around me or him...

• Yes I'd say so. Also means you grew up a lot.

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel disgusting for crying over my ex crush.

1|0
    0|0
  • Girl, it's normal.

1|0
    0|0
  • I get this feeling every time Jack off

1|0
    0|1
  • It's normal

1|0
    0|0
  • 1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. It is something normal.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I feel the same about my ex and to this day can barely talk about it to people, he was my first boyfriend and I was too happy to have a boyfriend I guess.

But I learned from this so not to repeat.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes