Why say you want to be friends with your ex but turn around an not mean it?

Boyfriend of 17 months broke up with me over a promise he didn’t keep from 5 days ago, . He got mad at me when I brought the promise up when he got back from a weekend visit with his friend and he already knew after he got back in two days he had to follow through with the promise. He said he will follow through with the promise but in turn will break up with me. To cut to the chase, it was back and forth bickering and going in a circle, about the issue and I told him I still loved him and that he’s my best friend and I don’t want him out of my life, he said he still loves me too and he doesn’t want me out of his life. Yesterday was a different story, it went to the bickering and him talking to me like I am nobody to him. But finally was able to get him to talk about things and he was answering my questions to this out of the blue break up and eventually he just left me on read. I know now just to stay away, and not try and talk to him, but why did he say he loved me still, but treat me and talk to me different as if he wasn’t just telling me he loved me 48 hrs ago
1
0