He went back to his ex of 2 years. I texted, I wish you the best. And deleted his number, but he called me, apologizing. Is he confused? What do I do?

We had a great connection and he even said that. He was chasing me. Then yesterday, out of nowhere, I call and he says, "I'm at my girlfriends house. I love her and she took me back, so I need to let this go." I said, Ok, with you the best! and deleted his number. But then he calls me. I send it to voicemail 7 times before I finally answer. He said he was genuinely sorry and that he really did like me. Then goes on about how they already got into a fight but he loves her. I don't plan to ever talk to him again, but I do have to wonder why he would try so hard to call just to say I'm sorry. Then diss on her. We talked for an hour before he said he had to go. My heart hurts because I think he's giving up something great for "history and comfort." Honestly I just wonder how long it will last if it hasn't worked out for two years.
5 mo
He came back asking for forgiveness a week later... then a week after, he went BACK to her so I went off like a fucking crazy person saying how he has to deal with her treating him terribly for the rest of his life... it happens.
2
2