How long does it take to get over your first love?

After a few years, and an amazing relationship, my boyfriend and I broke up. How long does it take to get over someone?
  • 1-2 months
  • 6 months to 1 year
  • 2-3 years
    Vote C
  • Never really
    Vote D
  • Never at all
    Vote E

1020

1020
  • If someone doesn't want you in their life anymore then you have no business feeling sad about it.

It may have been unfortunate that things didn't work out for you, but it could with the next person. There won't be a next person if you stay hung up on someone that doesn't want you.

I certainly wouldn't want to commit to someone who was still sad/upset over an ex

• 3 d ago

I disagree with your first comment, you feel sad about something happening to you. My dad left me and i felt sad about it even though he didn't want me in his life, funnily enough my emotions aren't controlled by what other people want me to feel.

• 1 d ago

@SophieLaGirafe
      What I meant is, people that abandon you and don't care about you don't deserve your feelings. Your life is better off without those people, and they probably don't feel bad about what they did.

But family situations are a bit different than romantic ones, so I really can't speak on behalf of that.

• So this was a bit of a uneven choise as it differ from person to person. For me it is not very hard, i usually linger around healing on a break from relationships after it has ended. Some hearts heal much slower, or faster. Time is also affected by how deep the relationship was and how it ended.

• To be honest, it will always leave a mark on you no matter what. My first one ended on a tragic note, and it took about a full year for me to even be able to function again. Even though it is still a sensitive area for me, I am able to cope and no longer feel intense sorrow. Sometimes I can even reminisce about our times together and smile, feel happy, even though we are not on good terms and she will never speak to me again.

• I took me almost a year. I think it’s normal to still think about the person, the love will always still be there in s dormant state.. because they are your first Love. Other than that I’m over it completely. A year later I’m with an amazing girl who shows she love me just as much as I lover her.

• it truly depends on how you both broke up... and why tbh... also depends on whether or not you got closure and answers to your questions as to "why?"

• 6 months only because I don't usually get invested but when I do I go all in. And also because I tried to make things better by offering peace and he dropped his phone, everyone in my year at school then started saying I broke it on purpose and I got bullied for 4 months after that. I'd like to say I have a thicker skin now but I really don't think I do.

• I dated my first boyfriend for 5 years on and off.

Got my first job at twin peaks at 18 and forgot all about him within that time.

Staying busy you just dont have the time

• So it look me longest to get over my shortest relationship..
    It lasted 3 months and I hadn't moved on in 3 years. I was over the next 2 relationships (4 years and 2 years) before they even ended.

• That really depends, everyone is different. I would say a year but it could be never. The best thing to d is distract yourself from the thoughts.

• I will never get over the first girl I fell in love with. I think it took a year for me to get over the second girl I fell in love with. The latest girl is the third girl. I don't think I will ever get over her either.

The first girl was a year relationship. The second was two years. And the third girl was about two months.

It just depends on the girl rather than just length of time etc. It also varied physically. The first girl I never had sex with. The second girl I lost my virginity to. And the third girl was lots of sex.

• I took a couple of years to collect myself. I started getting anxiety episodes so had to really look after myself for a while to get back in healthy mental state :)

• It always leaves a mark I think, and the more failed relationships that follow, the more calloused you become

• At the time it took me a while, but she started to be awful for her friends out of nowhere and seeing her best friend cry made me loose interest very quickly

• 2 weeks, then I just focused on work and friends :) and realised what a lucky escape I had!

• I haven't talked to mine in six months and I'm still not over the hurt. :(

• There is no way to hide your old experiences. You have to live with it throughout your life.

• Never at all!

• Took me about 4 years lol

• Still counting

• Good question.

• For me it took 2 min.

• Well, it only took me to find a new admirer

• According to the understanding between you two.

• I dont think there is a true answer. My first love was over 20 years ago and I still get emotional when something reminds me of him. My second love I married and just fell out of love with him. My third love I was with for 5 years. He was the one I loved the deepest and I dont know that I'll ever truly get over him.

• If you truly loved that person like you say, you never fall out of love with them. The sad thing is... they can do the most horrible thing and you still love them

• A couple weeks.

• It takes me about 2 years to completely forget them.

• Depends on the person and how hard or easy it is for them to accept that it’s over. Some can move on quick and some may dwell on it for a long time especially if they were with that person for a long time. In my case it took me nearly two years because I was with my ex for 7 years.

• Whenever it does

• It takes a long time the only think I found to help with the pain is some rebound fun. I prefer to sext so I dont mess things up and a relationship that will just ends won't come from it.

I'm here to listen and help if you need hun.