Did my boyfriend choose religion over me?

My boyfriend and I recently split due to religion. When we started dating I had directly told him I do not date religious people for many reasons and it was a major deal breaker.

He was not the religious “type” and over time I learned he drank, smoked, partied, stole, lied, was a racist, and not a typically “moral” person. Then out of the blue he has decided to start going to church.

This is in spite of what I had said years ago when we met and I again directly said this would not work. He said he wasn’t religious and only went to church twice for the free food and to take his friend.

Then this weekend he went out with a friend to drink, didn’t come home but then when I ask if he’s ok and if he stayed with his friend he tells me that he’s going home to get ready for church. I told him this was not going to work out and he acted like he was unaware even though I have repeatedly stated It being a deal breaker. He said church was what he chose to do, and I said “that’s ok but you were aware I do not date religious people so I choose not to see you.” He yelled “f *** you” at me and hung up.

It seemed like he chose religion over me because he was aware the entire relationship I do not date religious people and I told him we would not work if that was his choice.

*Note: due to repeated issues, I had repeatedly asked him to get therapy but he opted for religion as “a start”. It seemed more like an excuse to pretend to be better instead of actually getting the help he needed.

Does it seem like he chose religion over me? Or something else?
2
2