If we weren't meant to be together, why did we keep finding ways back?

I dated this girl casually during my senior year of high school. She also was my coworker, and a Mormon.
After two casual dates, I didn't want to go out with her because of how she tried making me jealous of her going out with others.
We went on one more date but I again stopped seeing her when I knew she was seeing another co-worker and we didn't talk for 2 months and I left the company.
She talked briefly about the dates after I left but she said she was mad I didn't want to date her.
We eventually came back together a few months later and dated exclusively for 5 months.
Due to her Mormon beliefs, we broke up because I wouldn't convert and we stayed separated for two years.
During those two years, we'd coincidentally run into each other and have other various things happen we couldn't explain.
We got back together exactly two years after the breakup and dated again for 9 months, and it was a wonderful relationship. Despite it being long distance for some of it.
We broke up again because she started a mission and she changed her mind again and said we couldn't be married.

We've had so many times where we've broken up and came back together, or had these outrageous coincidences and circumstances that involve the other.
If we weren't meant to be together, why did all this happen? Why wouldn't we have stopped and stayed away after the first dates didn't go well?
1
0