My ex states he misses me and wants to be friends and is seeing someone?

is this a guy thing? I’m in an awful heartbreaking situation. My ex left me 7 months ago for another girl. We work together and I have completely ignored both of them. I’ve done nothing but work on myself for months. We recently spoke for the first time and he said he wants me in his life and misses me. Said I’m his best friend.. I told him I was unsure as I still have feelings for him. He said knowing I still have feelings he still wants me around and wants to hang out... it’s more in depth than that but I don't know if I should go into more detail. why would you want your ex around period never mind when your seeing someone else? just wanted a guys perception/ opinion.

I’m civil cause we all work together. I’m having a really hard time wrapping my head around this situation. Since this conversation he’s still flaunting his relationship in my face and now tries to talk to me all the time. I’m going crazy.
3
2