Schizophrenic Ex : stay away or try again?

My ex-fiancé had to break up due to him not treating his mental illnesses (paranoid schizophrenia and OCD) with medication, counseling, staying sober, etc. he was having psychosis episodes weekly due to this and became very aggressive and abusive towards me and I feared for myself and our son due to his threats coupled with wanting to end his life. I got very scared and got a restraining order. His family has contacted me saying since then he has started taking medication again and going to counseling, got a job, and has calmed down tremendously and is back to being himself again. Ultimately, I love him very much and was just very scared of how he got with unmanaged mental illness. Now I’m at a point where I kind of want to drop the restraining order and see if he can stay on this pathway but I’m just very scared that if me and the baby are back in the picture and he begins to stop taking his medication again and drinking/doing drugs again. Should I just leave him alone and stay out of the picture and give up on him and try to date other people or should I try to be with him again? I love who he is but I am so scared of him when he’s mentally unstable.
Schizophrenic Ex : stay away or try again?
Add Opinion