How should I handle the no contact period with my ex?

My partner and I have dated for a year, nobody cheated or anything like that. We just broke up couple days ago my ex initiated the break up. Me and my ex are attached to each other meaning we enjoy each other’s time, we would hold each other, cuddle, etc. we had a lot in common. however, when we are apart, we sometimes clash in text because of anxiety. My girlfriend is very insecure and fearful of things not working out. She would flirt with me and tell me she misses me as I would tell her the same. However, she mailed me a letter to my apartment without notifying me and it said in the letter I should be with someone better than her and find someone better who can give me better and love me better than her. She tells me she does not want to lose me and we should be close friends who care for each other very much. She always throws in friendship out of her own fears of things not working out. I agreed to being close friends who care for each other deeply to make her more comfortable with me. However, I want to back away for awhile for her to know what it would feel like to not have me. Because I always made sure to make her feel safe and happy and she always smiled and told me how I made her heart melt.

She texted me last night and asked me how I was doing and hoped I was staying in the AC but I did not reply. Should I respond or should I not respond at all for a couple of weeks? I am not sure what is the best avenue to take?

OPINIONS APPRECIATED!!!
2
1