Why was he so nice right before breaking up with me?

My ex recently dumped me, and the way he went about it made me feel completely blind-sighted by it. We had made plans to get take-out and watch a movie that night, and he came to my place and offered to pick up my favorite food for dinner. Once he was here, we had seemingly normal conversation with plenty of joking around. He even offered to help me find a new place once my current lease ends, which took me completely by surprise. Right after we finished eating, however, his entire disposition changed -- his voice became shaky, he had a hard time making eye contact with me, and he told me that he didn't see our relationship going any further and that he didn't love me. I think it was the first time I've ever felt genuine shock and was too stunned to talk or even cry. The fact that he was incredibly nice and normal when he came over at first, even more than usual, has me incredibly confused as to what could have possibly happened that pushed him to want to break up with me. Why couldn't he have just dumped me right when he came over, as opposed to waiting until a couple hours afterward? And why would he want to be so nice before breaking my heart?
Why was he so nice right before breaking up with me?
Add Opinion