Why has my boyfriend decided overnight that he suddenly doesn’t know how he feels about me?

My boyfriend of 3 years basically broke it off with me today (I think..). He hasn’t said the words “it’s over” but the conversation went that way. It came out of absolutely nowhere. He said he’s been feeling this way for a while and needs space. He wouldn’t cooperate when I tried to rectify the issue so I got up and said “If you cannot cooperate then I do believe I deserve better”, and left, because he was really hurtful (& honestly he’s such a nice positive person).

I dont know if this is irrational behaviour or not because we had our 3 year anniversary on Monday and he was all over me and so loving, but he has snapped and told me I’ve been doing loads of things to upset him, all in the space of one day. When I apologised for the things I’ve done, he then went on to say he needs to go figure out life on his own (he’s very down and has zero friends which could be why).

He kept saying hurtful things like “we’re incompatible” and “I didn’t actually feel all of these things towards you” but I know he’s faking it. Like you can’t switch off feelings like that, & he was so nice to me on our anniversary and even yesterday we were getting on fine!

Only a week ago he asked me would I move away with him if he gets a job in a different district?

Do i just give him space like he asked? He just seems to be in a really negative head space because none of it makes sense other than the things he said I was doing wrong, but those things can be fixed. I don’t know if it’s the impact of not having friends, not having hobbies and only having me that’s upsetting him but I’m not sure and don’t know if I should check in on him if he is depressed or let him figure himself out alone.
3
2