Does my boyfriend actually want to break up, or does he just need space to find himself?

My boyfriend met me on Wednesday and sprung on me that he’s not happy with how I treat him. He’d obviously thought of absolutely every single argument we’ve ever had between now and February, and compiled them in his head and exploded at me. He said he didn’t know what he wanted, and that he needed to take space. I said that was fine, but then he proceeded to continue on and say that he needs to figure out who he is, and basically admitted how unhappy he is in himself.

When he spoke about his own self happiness, he excluded me and said he needs to figure out who he is as a person, and he made remarks like “we’re just incompatible, we want two different things” even though he’d just said he didn’t know what he wanted.

he's been stressed and low in himself for a few weeks, I noticed how stressed he was by college and his future. Everyone noticed that he’s not as friendly when they bump into him, and that he’s not confident. These are his own issues and not mine, but I feel that because we’ve had a few arguments lately which did interfere with college work, it made him snap. He doesn’t have any friends, and he refuses to play sport anymore because he isn’t confident. So all he has is his part time job and me.

I don’t think he doesn’t want a future with me, I just think he’s a mess. Last week he asked me on 3 occasions if I’d move away with him if he gets a certain job. Last week he asked me to meet up a few times, yet when we had the negative chat he told me that he’s “finding meeting me unbearable”.
I spent Friday night at his family’s house and he made passes at me and showed care, and we celebrated our anniversary on Monday & he went above and beyond. We’re going on holiday in November and all he’s been getting excited about is that. We were meant to be going to a wedding in a few weeks and he was all excited. So obviously now I’m very confused.
I don’t even know if we are broken up because I got up and left in upset!
2
1