Ex girlfriend I love very much and want to be with, she was my best friend as well?

Hi everyone, so I'm new on here and my question is what's the best way to get an ex back? We were together 3.5 years and I wanted to marry her, but because I've had a rough sheltered child hood, I had some bad behaviour habits, I've been basically in relationships for the past 24 years, I'm now single for 7 months.

I am now aware of the issues I had to fix and have done it, only because I'm now aware, and because I'm tired of getting my heart broken, this was the 3rd long relationship for me and I love this women very much, she was with someone 2 months after we broke up, I love her kids and he family, and I feel she was great for me, any opinions would be great, oh fyi I've already tried asking her and she says we have no. Chance yet she stays in touch with me and came to see me one day and was flirting a lot, and recently asked to see me then changed her mind? I'm a 44 year old single dad if an 11 year girl to whom I have full custody, I've always been told I'm a great father, and a great person, I guess I'm not very experienced in the dating department though, lol
3
3