A cry for help: My boyfriend broke up with me because he needed to work on & fix himself from a past relationship. Can I help? Should I help?

All seemed great the time we had been together (3 months, however I can say we were in love). We met on Bumble in May, and within a short time it felt like we’d known each other years. Anyway, from the second day of us meeting up, he made the move to hold my hand on the walk home. He was always the one to make the first move, but it was always reciprocated. The whole relationship, we’d been best friends as well as the typically ‘cute loved up couple’. Going as far as planning holidays and talking about the future we could have. Only, the past week he’d been down, seeming to not know why, it just got progressively worse for us. Keep in mind that before this week, he had been his normal unique self. I kept incouraging him to talk to me about what was going on in his head, that I would be a shoulder to cry on if he needed it. He just never wanted to open up, said that he wouldn’t ‘dump all that’ on me, that he didn’t want me feeling like him. I just didn’t know what to do. Then yesterday, he told me that he still hasn’t gotten over his last relationship, he didn’t think he was ready for a new one & didn’t want to hurt me be staying together, the way he was hurt. (They were together 2 years & according to him, the whole time she had depression, was detached and it had an effect on him and his self-asteem). His exact words were “I’m really sorry that I’m doing this. If we’re going to do this, I want to do it properly not with me being unstable because of my last relationship. The whole way through the 2 year relationship she was how I’ve been recently and I can’t do that to you, so I need time to work on myself and fix myself.” We broke up, reassuring one another that we’d stay friends and we’d still talk to each other and be there for one another whenever we need it. We’ve been talking since, obviously not as much as we used to, but I know that’s not a bad thing.
Sorry it’s long, I just wanted people to have a summary of how it was before. Thank you for your patience:)
8
3