Can someone truly be too stressed + depressed to where put a halt on a relationship even though they have feelings for you?

What do you guys think is the mentality of someone being too stressed/depressed to carry out a relationship? My ex boyfriend is diabetic type 2 , is living alone far away at the age of 21 and streams as a profession. They found themselves getting progressively stressed and pressed , getting super sick along the time line of a little before and after our breakup. I don’t doubt he cares and loves me but after the breakup he became distant and needed space. He broke up with me after we planned to meet up for the first time after talking for awhile. During the trip he ended up vomiting in front of me multiple times , and we ended up in a hospital during the duration of my stay. You could see it in him how much it effected him but I thought me being there would only make us stronger, after the trip he broke it off to focus on himself and said he couldn’t handle a relationship right now. Can anyone tell me maybe why some people push a person away when they are stressed/depressed even though they genuinely loved you? Or just the overall mentality some guys have when they get deeply troubled and they have a girlfriend? Thank you.
4
2