He is emotionally abusive and violent; how do I get out of this relationship?

I have been saying this guy for four months and the entire relationship has been a mess. My boyfriend is very emotionally abusive towards me. He demeans me, yells at me, calls me names, threatens to commit suicide if I don’t do what he wants, and even threatened to kill me before. I am scared of him, but realize that this relationship is very unhealthy. I have tried to break up with him before, but I am always afraid of what he will do if I did. Along with this revelation, I have come to realize that I am actually in love with a friend of mine. He treats me the way I deserve to be treated; with love and kindness. He has helped talk me through tough times with my boyfriend. (Just wanted to say, that no, I have not done anything with my friend; and I won’t be with him until I’m single. I’m not the cheating type.) Anyway, I want and need a relationship made of love, not hate like the one I am in now. As previously stated, I am still scared of leaving my boyfriend. What do you think I should do? How should I do it? Please help!
6
2