Should my ex pay back the money I gave her so her bank account wouldn't hit zero?

My ex has always lived paycheck to paycheck while living at home rent-free and only paying for some of her food. When we moved in together on early June she was shocked at her increased expenses.

Just past mid-July, she expressed concern that her bank account would hit zero before payday. I told her I'd give her $300 so that wouldn't happen. Less than two weeks after that she broke up with me.

In August she publicly claimed that she had paid for all of my living expenses when we were together, which is completely untrue. Annoyed by that, I asked her for my $300 back. She didn't want to give it back. Keep in mind that at that time she earned more than twice as much as me.

Should she have paid me the money back?
32
62