Boyfriend who broke up with me, but begs me to remain friends?

So my boyfriend of almost 4 years broke up with me a few days ago. He says it’s because we argue too much. He lives 3 hours away and we see each other whenever we can. Lately, he wouldn’t text or try calling until past midnight (if he would contact me at all). I get that he’s busy as he has work, and likes to rebuild trucks and hang out with his friends. But it literally takes 10 seconds to pull out your phone and text me once in awhile. Thats what our arguments were about. Me just asking to be more of a priority and not be at the end of his list. In my opinion, you make time for those you love. So he broke up with me and we both bawled. The problem is, he says he wants time alone and to be friends and then maybe get back together in the future. So essentially, he wants a break. Yet, he still wants to be friends and talk. But if he wants to be alone and take a break, why does he want to keep talking? It’s a long distance relationship so talking is all we could really do usually anyway. How is that a break? Also, anytime I mention that we should stop talking so I have a chance to get over him or say that we shouldn’t be friends and should go our separate ways, he calls me up and bawls. He still tells me he loves me, but when I ask if he’s sure this is what he wants, he doesn’t take me back. I’ve given him many opportunities, but I’m not going to sit here and beg for him to take me back. I’m just so confused. He acts like he cares and loves me so much and cries anytime I say we should stop talking altogether. But he’s the one that broke it off! I’m just so confused..
2
4