Is the break-up definitive since he said that maybe we are better off as friends?

My boyfriend and I just broke after almost 4 months. He said that he doesn't know what to do with me from a relationship standpoint and maybe we could work out better as friends.
It was a difficult relationship with a lot of tension between us, a difference of rhythm (I wanted to go fast and he slow), with disappointment on both sides, and a lot of pressure from me.
We broke up at his request, and he said that he doesn't know what to do with me and that friendship would be a better choice. He still initiated a lot of physical contact (hugging, caressing and kissing my forehead). And said that it wasn't fair what was happening and the break up wasn't supposed to happen.
Now, I am wondering if this break up is definitive, and if some cooling off period would change things.
6
0