Why would someone apologize for their bad behavior and then continue to do those same behaviors?

I apologized for publicly airing things and I meant it, in hopes that things would be at rest. He apologized too but today I found he's still spreading lies, while also blaming me for not being the highest points holder on GaG.

It has been suggested to me that I not retaliate, lest the war should continue. But do YOU fight back? Or just continue to let the person wage war upon you?

What would YOU do?
Why would someone apologize for their bad behavior and then continue to do those same behaviors?
Updates:
6 d
The person in question believes I falsely accused him of a crime, which is why he's still continuing. I apologized for publicly sharing things that should have remained private. I'm not going to apologize for something I did not do. I'm sticking with the mantra, "I cannot control a person's faulty perception of me."

So that being said, please no more comments on this question. I HAVE to ignore it from now on, for my own peace of mind. Thank you for your words of encouragement here.
Add Opinion