Why did my ex tell me he loves me? My ex is dating a new girl, but he told me he still cares for me and loves me and that it won’t ever change?

He moved on right away, this girl looks like a less hotter version of me. She’s his type, but not enough to make me scared that I could lose him forever.
recently he started to be nicer to me. We talked on the phone for 1hr. he's late or ditches work to talk to me. He said he still loves me and that it won’t ever change. He did mention us getting back together a couple times but I’m just not sure if he means it
I took seeing him with another girl very hard because he lied to me about it when I asked him. I wanted to die and he knew this.
Im doing better now & he sees how happy and confident I am again. I told him I can’t imagine my holidays without him & that I forgive him and still love him & want to apologize for hurting him. he said he loved me back.
I do want him back but if we do get back together, we need lots of changes. should just completely forget him?
Background info
-two years and both still loved each other at the end
I broke up with my ex 3 months before he officially moved on from me. We were still acting like a couple but didn't have the label. He normally wouldn't stick around &try to be with a girl after she hurt him, but he did with me.
During the process of us dating while we were broken up, I hurt him twice pretty bad. I was honest with him about it. The goal was to create better habits, see if we had a future together & to get back together.
He was okay with this, or rather he was acting like he was okay with it until the very end.
We were very in love, we had our issues such as him being really far behind career wise, unmotivated, living with his parents & being needy
through dating other men, the love & to connection we had was something I would choose over money or success.
I’m 21, about to have an associates degree by early next year, he is 25 and still working with children, has No work experience elsewhere.
He’s just softening the blow of the breakup
He wants to try and keep you interested in case he made a mistake
He really does still love you
Vote C
He loves you but isn’t in love with you
Vote D
He’s not over you and maybe wants to try to get back together
Vote E
He loves you but you broke his trust and hurt him so he might be scared to open up to you again
Vote F
GirlGuy
1
0