If a guy tells you not to let him break your heart is that him showing a conscious?

Anonymous
my ex boyfriend hurt me a lot but I wasn’t totally broken. I still had a lot of forgiveness and trust left within me back then. One day, unexpectedly he sat down with me and said he was sorry for everything he had done and that he wanted me to know that I was amazing and to never let a man tell me any differently, not even him. He told me not to ever let anybody break my heart. And then he proceeded to explain to me that he didn’t want me to change into somebody who didn’t trust others, who couldn’t forgive and who was afraid to love. He explained to me how I would eventually feel when I experienced heartbreak and he begged me not to let that happen to me. He said that when people get heartbroken they change, and that there was a lot of good left in me that he didn’t want to ruin. I ended up changing into exactly what he warned me about. Why did he do that?
1
1