What should I do about my ex if I'm still in love with him?

blackxstar17
Together almost 2 and a half years. Broke up in October because he wasn't happy anymore. I got desparate and pushy and in November he said he needed me out of his life. We didn't speak for a month. If we were around each other, he avoided me and wouldn't make eye contact. About two weeks into no contact, he blocked me on Facebook and deleted me off Snapchat. I carried on with my life during this time but still got upset and cried from time to time. Basically just did my best to not let his behavior control me. Then a week ago, he called me. He was crying, telling me that his mom has cancer and that he felt like he needed to talk to me. I asked why he was calling me after all this time and he didn't know why, he just felt like he had to talk to me. He told me how sorry he was for what happened and how he missed my family and i. He said he didn't expect me to forgive him and he wasn't asking me to take him back. Again, I asked him why he was calling after a little over a month of silence and he said he didn't know why but then said he thinks about me every time before he goes to sleep. A few days later, he approached me at school and talked for a few minutes. I'm honestly shocked that he did this. I figured he wouldn't talk to me again after the call but now I'm not sure what to do. Im still in love with him but right before we went no contact he said he loved me but wasn't in love with me anymore. I don't know if he's trying to be friends or if he regrets the break up. Or maybe he's just looking for an emotional crutch? What do I do? I want to be with him, I want to let him back into my life but I don't know how or if I should. Should I just call him and ask what he wants? I find it hard to believe he called me without knowing why.
What should I do about my ex if I'm still in love with him?
Add Opinion