Fiance broke up with me from depression, severe stress and needing space but has now cut off all contact with me?

+5Xper
Anonymous
My fiancé were extremely close and did everything together and were best friends but the day after Christmas he just broke up with me three weeks ago in the midst of bad depression and severe stress. He said he just can't do this anymore and he needs space to work on himself. I was and am heartbroken but I understood because he is in the midst of severe stress and tons of pressure from his family (who were against us getting married right now from day one) and college and full time work. After a week of him not saying anything I sent him an email essentially saying that I am willing to wait for him and I love him and I believe truly that we both can get healthy and work through this. He responded heartbroken saying that all he wanted was just that but what he did to me was so awful he could never forgive himself and I deserve someone better (he has always struggled with very low self esteem).
The original plan was that we were both going to take a step back and give each other some space to get healthy with the intent and plan of coming back together stronger. However after weeks of me trying to get answers and share my heart and just see if he would be willing to have an in person conversation to talk together he has now suddenly decided to cut off all communication with me saying he really needs space right now to work on himself and find himself again, has hardly spoken to or texted me and virtually overnight his comments went from "when we get back together one day" to "IF we get back together" these are things that would have to change, etc. And he's also making comments that he doesn't want me to put my life on hold and wait for him because this could take years before he's at a place to handle a relationship again and the absolute MOST hope he can give me right now is that MAYBE we can be friends at some unknown date in the future. I guess all I want to know is why is he cutting me completely off and what could have caused a change that drastic overnight?
3
0