What does it mean when your boyfriend just wants to take a break but not break up?

Anonymous
Two guys have done this to me now and I seriously don’t know how I’m supposed to take it. If you told your girlfriend this would it mean you didn’t love her anymore. The first time this happened to me I decided to just break it off completely bc we talked about marriage while we were together and the fact the he needed a “break” Seemed a little weird because in marriage there’s no such thing as a break. You’re either all in or out. So I didn’t see the point of being with someone who thought that after a few months of dating decided they needed a break. So I guess my question here is why do guys say they need a break but not fully break up?
4
1